1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

How much light?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by dwa, Jan 30, 2007.

1. dwa

dwa Out Of The Brooder

Jan 30, 2007
    I have two pet bantams, a rooster and a hen. They are nearly three years old. We have been having some cold weather, in the teens and twenties at night. I brought them into our garage, put them in a spacious cage and put a heat light over them. Is this too much? Do they need some "dark" time, away from light? They seem to be less active and not eating as much. Would appreciate any advice.

--DWA

2. tricia

tricia Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 25, 2007
    West Central Wisconsin
    If you have a lamp on through the night a red one would be best. But if they dont get any natural or white light during the day they wont lay eggs or do much.

3. bmarshall61

bmarshall61 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 11, 2007
    on this light subject, I am hearing different things. On day old chicks, red light or white light, which is better. I know the red helps if they are picking each other but if not is the white better?

Birdhill in East Texas

4. tricia

tricia Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 25, 2007
    West Central Wisconsin
    I always use red for new chicks because it seems to keep them calmer in general and prevents the pecking from starting in the first place. That is how my experience has been. [​IMG]

5. raysflock

raysflock Out Of The Brooder

Jan 22, 2007
    newfoundland, canada
    Hi , I have a 40watt standard light bulb in my coop on at all times. I understand you should have a light on for 18 hours a day, it suppose to induce them to lay. I have 18 chickens, with night tempertures running between -10c and -20c I am getting 8-10 eggs per day [9 today]
    Ray from Newfoundland Canada

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by