How much longer should I keep this up? Impacted Crop

Quote:
I have, but there is no way I could do it myself. I'm squeamish just watching people get shots, let alone performing surgery.
hmm.png

Lady Cluck, I'm sorry I haven't posted back until now. Too bad you weren't able to find a vet that would see her, but they really are few and far between. I agree with that vet's advice that as long as she's not acting sick, letting her back out may be the only thing to do, so she can be a normal chicken again and see what happens. Short of surgery, I don't know of anything more you can do. I really hope she's better and has gained some weight back. I know it's been awhile and this reply is probably a mute point by now, since I'm sure you've already decided what to do, but I'm hoping you'll update us on how your girl is doing now?

Just want to give everyone an update on my hen that had the ginormous impacted crop. Last November, after two months of treatment and reaching a dead-end with surgery as the only option left, I decided to let the hen rejoin the flock and let nature take its course. She was so miserable eating only a little mash/yogurt/olive oil each day (and losing a dangerous amount of much weight too close to winter) and being confined to a cage that I figured if she was going to pass on, I at least wanted her to be happy. One year later...

...the hen is doing fine. After letting her out last November, within a day her crop filled back up to its extraordinarily large size. But it never slowed her down; she gained weight fast and she made it through winter just fine. Today, her giant crop wiggles and wobbles whenever she walks, but she's eats normally, is fully feathered, lays eggs, and is as happy as any hen could be. She has become one of the friendliest birds in the whole flock, and always runs up to me whenever I am out in the yard. It's a tad comical to see her running around the yard, and every now and then I have to help her up to her perch at night, but she shows no sign of unhappiness or discomfort.

She is one lucky bird!!!! Just wanted to share the update with everyone, and if you're going through the same thing, there is hope!

I am so glad your hen is doing well. There is a chicken bra that you can buy which will 'hold up' her enlarged craw. I had a hen with this same problem. Her craw was so large that we called her Tubby. Her craw almost touched the ground. The chicken bra helped. You can buy them, just google. Maybe this will help.......

Back
Top Bottom