How much oregano is good for chickens?

Pics
Mar 29, 2022
Henlo fellow chicken lovers! To reduce bacteria, viruses, etc, in my chickens I want to start adding dried oregano to their diet. How much oregano per chicken? Can it be given daily? Also, to help them grow their feathers back beautifully, I want to make them a molting mix with flaxseed and BOSS. I was wondering if it would be ok to add some dried shredded coconut to it. Thanks!

Henlo fellow chicken lovers! To reduce bacteria, viruses, etc, in my chickens I want to start adding dried oregano to their diet. How much oregano per chicken? Can it be given daily? Also, to help them grow their feathers back beautifully, I want to make them a molting mix with flaxseed and BOSS. I was wondering if it would be ok to add some dried shredded coconut to it. Thanks!
Hi there. On the oregano issue, my chickens have oregano growing just outside their run and have the opportunity to eat it every day, but rarely do. I do like the benefits of oregano as you mentioned, however, so I make a "tea" with a teaspoon of chopped fresh oregano in 8 oz. near-boiling water. I let it steep for a bit and then strain the tea and put it in the fridge until it's cooled. I then add the tea to one of their gallon containers of fresh water in the run, so it's diluted in the water. They have another waterer as well, in which I have plain fresh water. This way they have a choice. They do seem to like the oregano tea, perhaps the flavor is not as strong as when they might peck at the raw leaves on the plant itself.

Oregano has NO antibacterial or antiviral properties. Don’t add it unless you want their eggs to taste weird. lol

And fatty seeds don’t help feather growth. They actually make the chicken more unhealthy. Let me put it like this - if you were trying to build muscle, you wouldn’t eat chocolate cake all the time while you were trying to do that. Treat foods don’t benefit cell growth.
If you want to help them, up the protein in the diet, not the fat. Coconut is also fatty and is not a
great food for chickens.

Can you provide some evidence? Not a random blog, please.
Here are multiple websites. If you want more proof just Google if oregano is good for chickens
Screenshot_20220926-144143_Google.jpg
Screenshot_20220926-144215_Chrome.jpg
Screenshot_20220926-144255_Chrome.jpg
Screenshot_20220926-144314_Google.jpg

Back
Top Bottom