How much oyster shells?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by pierce652, Jul 2, 2008.

1. pierce652

pierce652 Out Of The Brooder

May 16, 2008
    I got oyster shells this week and have been putting about 2 cups into a pile next to the feeder each day. Every afternoon its gone and its not looking like its being scratched into the ground.

My father who grew up working at a chicken farm says Im gonna need an ax to break open my eggs.

How much shell is normal? I have 9 girls all together. 5 grown and 4 that arent even laying yet.

2. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    I'd say your father is correct.... but I'm waiting for someone who is much smarter than I to tell you exactly how much!

3. LilRalphieRoosmama

LilRalphieRoosmama Officially Quacked

Oct 15, 2007
    Elyria, OH
    We had to cut back too because the shells were WAY too hard. We just toss a little in their feeder each time we feed; same with the grit. If the shells are too thin, add a little more. Kinda vague, I know but they don't seem to need much.

4. Nuggetsowner:)

Nuggetsowner:) Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2007
    Minnesota
    I have always offered Oyster Shell as free choice. My shells are quite hard but nothin' I can't handle and those that I sell my eggs to haven't complained yet!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by