How much property do you all have?

Wendy'sChicksRock :

Quote:
Missi, Im so jealous..i would love to be able to keep my horse here as well... Do you have other animals too?

Not yet. Other than my 3 dogs and 2 horses. I eventually want to get some pygmy goats. I think those will be alot of fun!!
smile.png

Missi​

We have 10 acres in the country, so thankfully no issues with city ordinances. We do have neighbors, but most have some sort of livestock, and everyone gets along quite well. I'm very blessed in regard to the neighbor thing (generally speaking as well
big_smile.png
). I have read some real horror stories here, and it makes me wanna run down the road and hug my neighbors!! Anyway, good luck to you Wendy'sChicksRock and I hope you only have curiosity issues, nothing more.
hugs.gif

I have a large suburban backyard, not sure of the acerage, I think I calcualted just under 1/3 of an acre at one time but not sure of the accuracy.

Anyhoo, I have a garden about approx 12x24 feet which hardly takes up any of the yard, and a couple raised beds in the back, along with a large compost heap and yard debris along the back fence. The subdivision has a lot of tree growth so it's not like our yards really stick out, most folks have a hedge or fenceing bordering the yards so it's realtivly private, for a subdivision.

I supposably can have 5 hens, but only have 4 chickens so far, and I think 3 are roosters.
sad.png
My immediate next door neighbors are fine with my chickens, and they are so quiet I don't think they would even know I had them if I didn't tell anybody.

I have a 4x10 run on my chicken tractor but I'm going to put in a chain link kennel run and put the coop from the tractor in it so I don't destry my back moving the tractor.
lol.png
I guess I'm not as young as I used to be. Oh well.

I honestly don't think anyone would say anything if I did have a rooster, some of the neighbors have had excessivly barking dogs at one time or the other. But it's pretty quiet around here now and I don't want to attact too much attention and cause negative chicken news or something.

I would like to move somewhere else but it looks as if I will be stuck here until I die so I'm trying to make the best of it. Sometimes I feel like I have a tiny farm, it's probably all I can really keep up with.

Quote:
W-O-W (jealous . . .)

our entire lot is .23 of an acre, and our run is 6x12. My husband JUST finished it a week ago, and already is talking about ways to expand it. I think he's more attached to the chickens than I am. I hatched eggs knowing I would have to give some away because we don't have much room. Now that the chicks are all in the coop, he doesn't want me to give any away because they're all "buddies" with each other. Oy!

Last edited:
Quote:
Absolutely! We have 20 acres. When we bought it, the tax appraiser had to come out and verify that there was actually a (20 year old) house on the property. The original owners forgot to mention that they'd built a house and never paid property taxes on it.
cool.png

Aha yes--country living. Want a barn? Build it. Want to add on to your house? Go ahead. Permit? Zoning Laws? Code enforcement? Oh we have the laws but unless you are dumb enough to go and ask, no one knows about what you're doing until they reassess. At which point you say "Didn't I tell you?" 15 years ago I lost my garage as the result of snow pack so rebuilt it as a machine shed. Then built a garage in a different place--builder made me get a permit. When the assessor came out to check on the garage he gave me hell for building the machine shed. I just told him he didn't lower my assessment when the garage fell down so live with it. They still don't know about my chicken coop.

Country does not always equal no zoning laws. The county we live in has zoning laws that affect you no matter how much acreage you've got. We have right at 1000 acres...the two biggest parcels are 325 and 225 acres each with the others in smaller pieces. We still are supposed to get permits to build a new shed or if one of our kids would want to build a house a permit would be required. Not saying it always happens....especially for sheds and barns.

We live in a downtown (small) city area and have less than 1/8 acre. We have 4 chickens and have no trouble with the neighbors - they are fine with them. BUT, we checked our zoning regulations first, had it all properly inspected by the correct people at the city, have a fenced in yard, don't have any roosters, keep it really clean, and purposefully don't live in a 'subdivision' with an HOA. Our general area is horse country with lots of farms but the chicken issue has just come up recently for inside the city as it is becoming more popular. There's probably a dozen people in our area with backyard chickens like mine, and for some reason it got put under the solid waste department. They have been great to work with - we touched base with them prior to getting the chickens, and they stopped out for an inspection after they were out in their coop. As many have said - making sure you stay within the letter & intent of the laws and making nice with the neighbors is key. We have kids over all the time to see them, and share eggs with friends and neighbors. Everyone thinks it's really great and we've had no issues. My guess is that everyone thought after we got rid of all the grass in our front yard and planted herbs, veggies & perennials, the chickens were the obvious next step!
I also think I'm pretty lucky because even though we've not clipped the chickies wings, they don't go anywhere. They could actually jump over the fence in one part where there's a storage bin next to the gate but even though they hop up there, they don't jump. Keeping my fingers crossed!

we are renting right now we are on 4 acres of woods .we ask the landlord first before we got the chickens we lived in uncorp city with no restriction. we have our coop about 10 ft from the property line and their house is about 1ac away btw they let me have a garden 80ft x40 ft on their land. we have 11 hens n 2 roo 1 of them dont make a sound and the other one only crow then i go near the coop. the nieghbor walk by and ask us if we still have the roosters, because he say does not hear them. while talking i said that is the roo crowing[crow softy] and he said no that was not crowing his brother in law roos was must louder.
our coop is about 10 ft on the side of the house and about40 ft from a quiet road the homes on your street r summer vacation home so noone is around.

we r still looking for own like piece of land but it is hard to find one that i can walk on it.

I live in a tiny little town called a Burg. Luckily, I am beginning to think that every house on the one street running through this little town is zoned agriculture, because everyone at one time or another has had livestock big and small at one time or another. Very lucky. We live at the Eastern end, only one neighbor close and one across the street (3 churches!!! We are very holy here!!!) and then open fields to the East and North of us, with another neighbor to the West, but they have EVERYTHING livestock, so we are just able to do whatever we want with our five acres. I plan on starting to utilize about 4 acres of it too!!!!

4.78 acres of rural land. Only the front acre is cleared. My husband built the chicken run in such a way that they can wander around here and there and not get out. Before they were always outside of the run. It kind of meanders around where they wanted to be anyway.
Caroline

Back
Top Bottom