How much property do you all have?

Quote:
The head of the APA [if you mean President] doesn't live in NY & isn't a woman. Why would the head of the APA object to chickens since s/he would undoubtedly have their own.

9000 sq ft over here.

about 1800 of that is house. then there is a decent pool and patio in the back. the rest of the backyard is a pretty steep hill.

chickens are in the small front yard area. it's maybe 1500 sq ft, though they are contained in a 5x16' coop/run.

our coop is right up against a property line. you're not supposed to build anything within 5' of the fence. whoops. kinda forgot about that until after the fact.

zoning wise, we are also only allowed 2 chickens. we have 7.

so far though the neighbors have ranged from seemingly interested to super excited. unfortunately, the neighbor that would potentially have a problem (if the chickens ever get loud -they are 2 months old right now and very quiet) has, i think, 4 people living in her house with her as renters. i have only met a couple of them, and we informed no one of the chickens existence except the owner. so i have no idea how those people feel about them.

this is hawaii though and the state is pretty much completely overwhelmed with bigger problems. very few rules are enforced and people are maybe a bit more relaxed than in the rest of the country. there are lots of rules about the right to feed your family, so it actually surprises me that there is a 2 chicken rule to begin with.

the only way i anticipate us having a problem is from a building inspector, who is supposed to come by at some point. we had a rock wall built a couple months ago and are currently putting in a motorized sliding gate, both of which we got a permit for. the inspector already came out once but the coop wasn't up yet and the sliding gate work had yet to begin. the inspector was kind of a jerk then. if/when he comes out to reinspect, he could give us trouble about the coop being too close to the property line. so we will see.

i have one acre in a neighborhood in the busiest part of atlanta. my neihbors love me!! lol--- maybe they dont care because we're right next to peachtree street (very busy street) and i bet that the car horns and cursing people are loud enough!

Back
Top Bottom