How much room do bantams need?

Quote:
Just curious where you heard that? I'm no expert on commercial poultry operations, but that sounds like perhaps the standards for commercial raisers.

Are you planning to free range them or give them space in a run? Or just keep 23 chickens in a 6 x 8 coop? If so, I think you better plan on several quarantine cages because you'll probably have to separate the ones who get their feathers picked off and bloodied.

Melissa

I have 3 cinnamon queens/golden comets in about a 25 square foot run, but I know a feed/supply store that has 2 silkies in a pretty small cage, though they let them run around some because they are very active birds.

I have been debating this as well... My first searches were not here and I too found sizes that seem to be from commercial houses that were interested in profit not happy hens.

We now have 5 bantams with a little over 10 ft square foot inside housing this does not include laying boxes or roost just the move around room. It is Not enough in my newby eye. Sunday morning we should have the remodel completed remodel is increasing the total sq footage to just under 20 sq ft and adds a nice protected grass area that is also 18 sq foot. The grass area is sealed off until the door is raised, the door open :D will also open up to the run area.

After observing the girls in the existing setup for a month or so we also decided to expand the run. Currently the run is 4' x 10' but we will be be doubling this as well. We free range as long as possible each day but increasing the run to 16' per girl will be great on days when someone isn't around to keep an eye on them. Currently we only allow them to run around when we are home because there are plenty of cats in the area and worry one will get in and cause a mess.

It feels a lot better giving them more room instead of stressing that they may not have enough.:D

This is an old thread but still a good topic. We keep chickens in so many different conditions, in different climates, with different flock make-ups, bantam versus full-sized, with different goals, using different management techniques, and so many other differences that no one magic number is going to cover us all. We’ll even have different definitions of “need” as you imply with your commercial versus happy chickens comment. The recommendations or guidelines are reasonable starting points for those that have no experience with chickens, but you get different suggestions for that depending on who you talk to. It’s not necessarily how much space in the coop that is important as how much total space in the coop, coop and run, or whatever that is available when they are awake.

Most of those recommendations will keep most people out of trouble under a lot of different conditions and are maybe overkill for some of us, but I find the more room I can give them the fewer behavioral problems I have to deal with, the less hard I have to work, and the more flexibility I have to deal with things that happen.

I haven’t posted this for a while, but I’ll post something I wrote a few years back about why we might have different needs for space for chickens. You might find it interesting.

I don’t believe in magic numbers for chickens. We keep them in so many different conditions, in different climates, with different flock make-ups, and use so many different management techniques that no one magic number will cover us all. Some of the things that make up the space requirement are, in my opinion:

1. Personal space for the birds. They have different personalities and different individual requirements. Some are very possessive of personal space and some can share. Each flock has its own dynamics.

2. Access to feeder and waterer.

3. Being able to put the feeder and waterer where they will not poop in it when they roost.

4. Roost space. They not only need to have enough room to sleep on the roost, they need to have enough room for them to spread their wings and fly to the roost and to sort out who gets to sleep next to whom and who gets the prime spots once they get on the roost. When they get on, they may jump from some midway support or fly directly to the roost, but either way, they like to spread their wings. And some chickens seem to enjoy blocking the entry points if there are limits. And when they get off, mine tend to want to fly down, not jump to a halfway point. They need room to fly down without bumping into feeders, waterers, nesting boxes, or a wall.

5. Poop load. The larger area they have the less often you have to actively manage the poop. They poop a lot while on the roost so you may have to give that area special consideration, but mucking out the entire coop can be backbreaking work plus you have to have some place to put all that bedding and poop. In my opinion, totally cleaning out the coop is something that needs to happen as seldom as possible.

6. How often are they able to get out of the coop? The more they are confined to the coop, the larger the personal space needs to be. The normal recommendation on this forum is 4 square feet per full sized chicken with a minimum of 10 square feet of run per bird. This additional requirement outside is sometimes not mentioned. How often they are allowed out of the coop may depend on a lot more than just weather. Your work schedule, when you are able to turn them loose, what time of day you open the pop door to let them out or lock them up at night, all this and more enters into the equation. The 4 square feet recommendation assumes they will spend extended time in the coop and not be able to get in the run. What that extended time can safely be depends on a lot of different factor so there is no one correct length of time for everyone.

7. Do you feed and water in the coop or outside. The more they are outside, the less pressure on the size of the coop.

8. The size of the chicken. Bantams require less room than full sized chickens. This has to be tempered by breed and the individual personalities. Some bantams can be more protective of personal space than others, but this is also true of full sized breeds. Young chicks need less space than mature adults.

9. The breed of the chicken. Some handle confinement better than others.

10. The number of chickens. The greater the number of chickens, the more personal space they can have if the square foot per chicken stays constant. Let me explain. Assume each chicken occupies 1 square foot of space. If you have two chickens and 4 square feet per chicken, the two chickens occupy 2 square feet, which leaves 6 square feet for them to explore. If you have ten chickens with 4 square feet per chicken, each chicken has 30 unoccupied square feet to explore. A greater number also can give more space to position the feeders and waterers properly in relation to the roosts and provide access. In general the more chickens you have the less space per chicken you need. You are more likely to get in trouble with 4 square feet per chicken if you have very few chickens.

11. What is your flock make-up? A flock with more than one rooster may be more peaceful if it has more space. I don't want to start the argument about number or roosters here as I know more than one rooster can often peacefully coexist with a flock, but I firmly believe more space helps.

12. What is the maximum number of chickens you will have. Consider hatching chicks or bringing in replacements. Look down the road a bit.

13. Do you want a broody to raise chicks with the flock? A broody needs sufficient room to work with or you risk problems from other chickens.

14. The more space you have, the easier it is to integrate chickens. Chickens have developed a way to live together in a flock. It’s called the pecking order. But establishing that pecking order can be pretty violent. One method they use to take most of the danger out of establishing the pecking order is that the weaker runs away from the stronger when there is a confrontation or they just a void the stronger to start with. They need room to run away and avoid.

15. The more space you have the more flexibility you have dealing with problems.

I'm sure I am missing several components, but the point I'm trying to make is that we all have different conditions. There is no magic number that suits us all. The 4 square feet in a coop with 10 square feet in the run is a good rule of thumb that most of the time will keep us out of trouble, but not always. People starting out with no experience with chickens need a starting point. The 4 and 10 is a good starting point. For a lot of us it is more than they could possibly squeak by with but I do believe that more is better both in the coop and in the run.

There are also people that have no trouble with a lot less space. If the coop is used only for sleeping and maybe some nest boxes, you can get by with less. But there has to be additional space available when they are awake. If you commit to giving them that space whenever they are awake, you don’t sleep in any mornings and you have to find someone to let them out at the crack of dawn if you are away for a while.

It doesn’t matter if the space is in the coop, coop and run, or they free range and sleep in trees. It’s total space that counts, not just coop size in isolation.

oops i meant to quote the person saying bantams need only 1 square foot indoors and 6 outdoors, btw it's probably a good idea to match the LF standards, you can never go wrong with to much space

Well I have 13 chickens in a 6 by 8 coop and I think im going to add 10 more chickens because ive heard that LF only need 1 square foot in the coop and 4 square feet in the run.

This is an old thread, interested in raising Bantam sized so researching. Came across the above post, everyone has their own opinions and as inexperienced as I am this sound "inhumane"! My Run/Coop is 8 x 12 x 8 for 4 LF and they're out to grub the fenced yard every day in the afternoons (when I'm home). Anything smaller I'd get "cranky"!

So what I'm understanding for Bantams = 4 sq ft for Coop & 6 sq ft for Run but as we all know "bigger the better". What about roosts, how high should they be? How many nest boxes per hen?

This is an old thread, interested in raising Bantam sized so researching. Came across the above post, everyone has their own opinions and as inexperienced as I am this sound "inhumane"! My Run/Coop is 8 x 12 x 8 for 4 LF and they're out to grub the fenced yard every day in the afternoons (when I'm home). Anything smaller I'd get "cranky"!

So what I'm understanding for Bantams = 4 sq ft for Coop & 6 sq ft for Run but as we all know "bigger the better". What about roosts, how high should they be? How many nest boxes per hen?

Ideally this forum would be for folks looking to keep chickens more humanely than factory farms do, but sadly, not everyone cares about quality of life for animals. Hopefully, if that wasn't someone just trying to get attention, they have learned by researching here on the forum...

There's no set answer as to how much space to allow, because we all have different circumstances...different weather to deal with...different breeds...etc.

Although 4 sq. ft (minimum) of housing space per bird is often quoted, many folks who live in areas that don't really get winters do fine with just 2 sq. feet per bird, as the chickens are literally NEVER inside the housing except when they go in to lay an egg or roost at night. I'm in Indiana...we DO get snow and ice during the winter (and my chickens avoid snow at all costs), so I allow for MORE than 4 sq. feet of housing, because mine do spend a lot more time indoors during the cold months (by choice - as I always open their pop doors for them).

Breed and temperament come into play as well. A very active/flighty little bantam breed might actually benefit from MORE space than a larger, sedate breed... My silkie/d'uccle coop/run is my smallest coop set-up. I didn't plan it that way, but ended up with 6 birds in a 44 sq. ft run. Despite these breeds being rather calm/easy going - that run seems way too small. Thankfully, we free range here, so they're let out an hour or so after daylight and aren't closed back up until dark. But they will pace up and down the fence line waiting to be let out in the mornings...

So there's a lot to consider when planning for space requirements of coops/runs...

Back
Top Bottom