How much room would 25 meat birds need?

daniel-delarosa

Songster
9 Years
Dec 14, 2010
Seminole, Oklahoma
Im wanting to order some meat birds, Im thinking of getting 25. I havent built anything to keep them in yet. I just dropped 500 in my first coop for my first chickens. I dont want to do that again. I want to keep it simple this time. Maybe like one those tractors that you can move around. Is there a common area per bird to go by with meaties? Anyone have any pictures of their setup?

Cindiloohoo

Quiet as a Church Mouse
10 Years
Dec 19, 2009
Southwest TN
Normal chickens it's 4 square feet per bird. So for 25 meaties..you could go 10by 10 area, or you could cut it down a bit. Considering the age of slaughter I don't think it will make a huge difference in their health in that short of time. BUT, that's just MY opinion

If they were mine I'd likely go for 2 and a half to 3 square feet. Meaties generally are lazy and stay by the feeders anyway from all I have heard.

countrychix

Songster
9 Years
Mar 18, 2010
Frewsburg, NY
I would go with 100 sq. ft. myself unless you plan on moving the tractor several times a day. That's what we used and after 24 hours the grass was a absolute mess. I also wanted mine to have some room to move around as they grew older, plus I personally don't like the idea of my birds laying in their own waste- yuck!

JerseyHen

Songster
8 Years
Feb 10, 2011
Sussex County, NJ
Quote:How do you keep the predators out or do you roost them somewhere else? Around here that would be chicken dinner for a bear, coyote, racoon, possum, skunk, mink, etc....

belgie

In the Brooder
8 Years
May 27, 2011
we built an 8x12 coop to house the 6 layers we just got and were planning on putting a wall up to make room for the 25 meaties we have coming in a few weeks, but after perusing this site I think we may build a tractor. What are the dimensions of the small one?

belgie

In the Brooder
8 Years
May 27, 2011
oh sorry I also wanted to ask how often you move it, and (sorry if this is silly, new-be here) do the chickens just shuffle along while your moving it, or do they have to come out and be put back in?

itsy

Songster
8 Years
Mar 14, 2011
New England
Quote:How do you keep the predators out or do you roost them somewhere else? Around here that would be chicken dinner for a bear, coyote, racoon, possum, skunk, mink, etc....

Thanks for those photos brf!!!
I plan on making a tractor like your smaller ones for my new meaties.

JerseyHen... we have MINK in NJ?? Great! Just another predator to worry about!

Top Bottom