How Much Room?

The Egg-Master N1

In the Brooder
Oct 2, 2019
Central Texas
Ok folks, this is my first time to post any thing; so bear with me. I have just under 400 birds of different breeds, my plan is to sell them as young pullets(4-5 mo old) but until they are that age, I need to build a few heaven-duty portable coops to house them. They are from different hatch dates, so their ages range from 3 month old to 2 weeks old. I have 30 acres of flat pasture that I’d like to move them around, but have a lot of wild predators, so would need a vermin-proof design. Also, I need a rough idea on how much room each chicken would need so as to not pick on each other. Once they are big enough I will let them range in a electrified poultry net, but I am stumped on the size and design of the coups that I need. Any help would be appreciated, thanks for your time you guys!

I have just under 400 birds
:eek:

That's a lot of birds....beyond a 'backyard' enterprise.
What are you housing them in now?

You're going to need a bunch of coops if you want them all portable, even if you move them with a machine(tractor, lawn mower, atv, etc). They'll need to be pretty big if for day and night housing. General rule of thumb is minimum 4sqft per bird in coop and 10sqft per bird in run.

Welcome to BYC! @The Egg-Master N1
Where in this world are you located?
Climate, and time of year, is almost always a factor.
Please add your general geographical location to your profile.
It's easy to do, (laptop version shown), then it's always there!
upload_2019-10-3_18-8-52.png

You might say its more of a small business endeavor. I’m located in Central Texas; between Austin and Dallas. At this point I have them in four separate permanent coops that measure 12 by 15 feet each. Thankfully they are still very young, 130 of them are at the 3 month stage and the rest are between 3 and two weeks old, but I am worried that they will start picking on one another if I don’t give them some more space soon.

... vermin-proof

Finally somebody to spell this correctly.
Sorry... I just had to... :p

I don't know, just guessing but imagine that the more common mis-spelling is "vermen"?

If so I suspect that those who mis-spell would argue that this "may be incorrect but accurate". I have met enough male arseholes to agree...

The predators will be a problem, so the coops and runs need to be very secure. And picking isn’t the only problem with overcrowding - there is also keeping the area clean enough, and disease pressure. And not enough time to keep a close eye on how the birds look, who looks like she could have notes, who is getting pasty butt.

@aart points out the minimum square footage for healthy chickens, but also the need to take into account how quickly you plan to/will be able to sell them.

There are many different chicken tractor plans online (John Suscovich’s design is very popular). They aren’t really as secure as a well-built coop and run with a buried apron, IMHO. But people do raise chickens in them. The electric netting might be able to protect the tractors, even.

I don't know, just guessing but imagine that the more common mis-spelling is "vermen"?
You'd be surprised (at least I was). I can understand "vermen", but what really got me was "varmin", and, my personal favorite - "varminT". Now that's somethin'! (it's not even phonetic.. unless you're going for a French-style silent T or something :lol:)

Back
Top Bottom