How much room?

the3quail

Songster
Oct 6, 2020
Gilbert, AZ
My Coop
My Coop
Hello, so once we move I am planning to buy some guineas, along with chickens. I have a business, I sell eggs for now (quail eggs) but once we move I plan to breed my quail and sell them. same with chickens. Not my guineas though.
Anywho, I am planning on building a 10x8 coop, 9 ft tall. How many guineas will that fit?

Hello, so once we move I am planning to buy some guineas, along with chickens. I have a business, I sell eggs for now (quail eggs) but once we move I plan to breed my quail and sell them. same with chickens. Not my guineas though.
Anywho, I am planning on building a 10x8 coop, 9 ft tall. How many guineas will that fit?
The minimum is 4 sq. ft. of open floor space per adult guinea. In addition to the coop, they also need a run with a minimum of 10 sq. ft. per adult guinea. These are bare minimums and do not include the need for waterers, feeders or hiding places.

The minimum is 4 sq. ft. of open floor space per adult guinea. In addition to the coop, they also need a run with a minimum of 10 sq. ft. per adult guinea. These are bare minimums and do not include the need for waterers, feeders or hiding places.
I can build a bigger coop, but how many birbs will fit in the one I wrote?

I

I get 20 sq ft. not including everything else. i'd say 15 sq ft with everything else maybe.
10' x 8' = 80 sq. ft. Take away the area used by various items.

My coop is 12' x 8' = 96 sq. ft. I currently have a total of 14 guineas in there. It is cramped quarters in there but they have access to thousands of square feet in their "run" during daylight hours. They are only confined to the coop during the night. I only intended the coop to hold ten guineas but guinea math happens.

10' x 8' = 80 sq. ft. Take away the area used by various items.

My coop is 12' x 8' = 96 sq. ft. I currently have a total of 14 guineas in there. It is cramped quarters in there but they have access to thousands of square feet in their "run" during daylight hours. They are only confined to the coop during the night. I only intended the coop to hold ten guineas but guinea math happens.
yes, I get 80.. but you said to divide it by 4. 12x8 is a good size. I only plan on owning like 5 or 7.

oh. ok then 20.. lol.So Would I be able to start with 10 baby females?
You cannot buy sexed guinea keets. They are sold straight run only. Guineas, unlike chickens do better in a ratio of 1 hen to 1 male. An all female guinea flock would be very noisy as all those hens constantly "buckwheat" looking for mates.

Read the thread Raising Guinea Fowl 101 and pay particular attention to posts made by @PeepsCA .

Back
Top Bottom