1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

How much safeguard horse wormer do i give my peafowl??

Discussion in 'Peafowl' started by cadescove523, Jan 14, 2012.

1. cadescove523

cadescove523 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 24, 2009
    TN
    I have two adult peacocks I need to worm. I have safeguard horde wormer in paste form. How much to I give them and how should I administer it???

2. chicknmania

chicknmania Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 26, 2007
    central Ohio
    hmm. Well, the vet just gave me Safeguard for our 6 lb peahen and said to give her 1.5 cc's per day, but that was in liquid form.
    We just shoved it in her beak using a syringe with cc measurements.. Just not sure about the paste. Google United Peafowl and ask on that forum, if you can't get an answer here...that site deals strictly with peafowl. Sorry, I don't have the address handy.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2012
  3. Choctaw Valley Farm

Choctaw Valley Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 16, 2010
    Oklahoma
    If you use Safe Guard for Goats you put 4 to 5cc to 1 gallon of water for 3 to 4 days changing water everyday.

You can also mix 1/2cc to 1/2cc of water put in a syringe (no needle) put it down their throat make sure you get it pass their windpipe.

Don't know anything about using horse paste, I don't think you can overdose birds with Safe Guard (I never have anyhow) I would put a little bit on some bread and feed it to them.

4. deerman

deerman Rest in Peace 1949-2012

Aug 24, 2008
    Southern Ohio
    myself i wouldn't use the horse wormer ,but get the safe guard for goats , i useb 3 cc per gal of water.

5. Trefoil

Trefoil Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 7, 2011
    It will say on the safeguard horse wormer what % wormer it contains If I remember correctly, the tube is incremented into 50 lb segments. You can either compare the % on the horse wormer to the % on the goat wormer and make the correction or take a 50 lb "segment" and cut it down into 5 lb segments.
    Sorry I'm not very clear, I have to redo it every time I worm. Safeguard is pretty safe but you can overdose them so be a little careful.

6. cadescove523

cadescove523 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 24, 2009
    TN
    Thank you everybody.

7. chickenzoo

chickenzoo Emu Hugger

FoR chickens I normally give a pea or pencil eraser sized paste drop in the mouth.... That's for 8 lb chicken, so for 10 lb peas I give slightly more.... But using the liquid will give better dosing.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by