How much "scratch" should I feed my chickens?

Just a note, try to find information from people with a PhD in livestock nutrition then you will find the truth.
I you do a search right here on BYC you will find tons of posts that states that corn will not make livestock/chicken hot. Look for posts by Lazy J Farms and Feed he has a PhD in Livestock Nutrition.

Here is a article put out for Beef Cattle but works the same with poultry.

Quote: http://beef.osu.edu/library/heat.html
Producers sometimes talk about "hot" feeds and "cool" feeds. We must discern whether the discussion is about energy content or actual heat production. Corn and other concentrates are sometimes called "hot" feeds. This is in reference to their higher energy content compared to hay or straw (cool feeds). However, corn and other concentrates contribute less to the heat of fermentation or digestion than hay. Therefore cattle actually produce less actual heat when consuming corn than when consuming hay. Further increasing the concentrate portion of a feedlot finishing diet may lead to acidosis problems. One option is to feed more frequently so as to keep the feed fresher (especially silage) and to feed a greater part the diet in the evening rather than in the morning. Similarly high quality forage produces less heat of fermentation than low quality forage. This might be another argument for moving cattle to higher quality pasture or moving more frequently through paddocks.

Good Luck,

Chris

(It's my understanding there is a major difference between cattle and poultry digestive systems. Cattle are Herbivores and poultry are actually Carnivores.) I do not have as much experience yet with raising chickens but I have raised 1000's of head of cattle throughout the years.

http://www.ag.auburn.edu/~chibale/an02physiology.pdf

Here is also an interesting article submitted to The Faculty of the Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University by Xiaolun Sun in partial fulfillment of the requirements for the degree of Doctor of Philosophy in Animal and Poultry Sciences.

It's a very long read but interesting. I found it to be rather educational.

http://scholar.lib.vt.edu/theses/av...222/unrestricted/Xiaolun_Sun_Dissertation.pdf

Now, I'll only respond to the original OP's subject regarding this thread. Some how this has got way off the original topic.

I have another question regarding scratch & treats.

I have 3 barred rocks (6 weeks old) that are confined to a 5' x 10' sand filled run. I can't let them free range until they are bigger and unable to squeeze through cracks & gaps in the fence.

I just bought a bag of scratch for a treat. Do I put it in a bowl, or just toss some in the sand filled run and let them scrounge for it. I've given them dark romaine & carrot greens and just toss them on the ground.

Thanks.

I have another question regarding scratch & treats.

I have 3 barred rocks (6 weeks old) that are confined to a 5' x 10' sand filled run. I can't let them free range until they are bigger and unable to squeeze through cracks & gaps in the fence.

I just bought a bag of scratch for a treat. Do I put it in a bowl, or just toss some in the sand filled run and let them scrounge for it. I've given them dark romaine & carrot greens and just toss them on the ground.

Thanks.
Tossing it on the ground gives them something to look and peck for. In some ways it also keeps them entertained for awhile. If you're feeding them anything other than their regular starter/grower feed it would be a good idea to also start them on chicken grit. Chicken grit aids them in digestion. You can simply sprinkle chicken grit on their food each day about the same way as you would season your food with salt. Grit comes in two sizes. Smaller grit for chicks and larger for full grown chickens. It's also a possibility they are getting and eating grit from the sand in the run area. Have you ever observed them eating the sand? If they are eating sand you'd not need to worry about the grit.

(It's my understanding there is a major difference between cattle and poultry digestive systems. Cattle are Herbivores and poultry are actually Carnivores.) I do not have as much experience yet with raising chickens but I have raised 1000's of head of cattle throughout the years.

http://www.ag.auburn.edu/~chibale/an02physiology.pdf

Here is also an interesting article submitted to The Faculty of the Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University by Salon Sun in partial fulfillment of the requirements for the degree of Doctor of Philosophy in Animal and Poultry Sciences.

It's a very long read but interesting. I found it to be rather educational.

http://scholar.lib.vt.edu/theses/av...222/unrestricted/Xiaolun_Sun_Dissertation.pdf

Now, I'll only respond to the original Po's subject regarding this thread. Some how this has got way off the original topic.
I am quit aware of the differences the digestive system between Bovine and Poultry.
Now so that you know chickens are not Carnivores they are Omnivores. Maybe you should reread your link to Auburn and the part that says;

Quote:http://www.ag.auburn.edu/~chibale/an02physiology.pdf
The Second link is a good link but it is stuff that I already knew about corn. It does not state anything about how corn raises the body temperature or keep animals/poultry "warm" like you stated here.

Quote:
Like I said in a past post read the many posts by Lazy J about how Corn will not make chicken/ animals Warm/Hot or keep them warm. He has a PhD in livestock nutrition and works with/for Hubbard Feed as there nutritionist.

Chris

Chris - since it's kinda off topic,but so what, what thoughts on fermenting scratch?
If the grain are whole and the fermenting is done right the fermented grains are very good for chickens.
People have been feeding fermented grains to livestock for a longtime and have had good success with it.

Chris

Just a note, try to find information from people with a PhD in livestock nutrition then you will find the truth.
I you do a search right here on BYC you will find tons of posts that states that corn will not make livestock/chicken hot. Look for posts by Lazy J Farms and Feed he has a PhD in Livestock Nutrition.

I would not discount the knowledge of the help and advice that you get from the people on this site just because they/we don't have a PhD....
old.gif

I would not discount the knowledge of the help and advice that you get from the people on this site just because they/we don't have a PhD....
old.gif
I wish now I'd never posted here trying to help someone to begin with! That's just how I feel. I don't personally think it takes someone with a PhD to be knowledgeable either unlike some. I feel as if I've been attacked.

Last edited:
I wish now I'd never posted here trying to help someone to begin with! That's just how I feel. I don't personally think it takes someone with a PhD to be knowledgeable either unlike some. I feel as if I've been attacked.
We need everyone's opinions here. Don't feel bad, sometimes people just get carried away! Hang in there and keep contributing. You have been very helpful.

Back
Top Bottom