How much should a baby pigeon eat?

He looks great, really amazing job you’ve done raising him :)

He looks about the age where they begin showing interest in eating seeds. You could start by offering them free choice and see if he picks up on what to do on his own accord. Otherwise, maybe during one of your feedings when he’s hungry and attentive towards you, you could imitate picking up the seeds with your fingers. Hope this helps!

When he starts eating seeds himself from a dish,,, you can cut off the formula then... You are doing a GREAT JOB,,, feeding him. :hugs
Taco❤️:love:yesss:
Doing what you are/have done,,, you have learned very much from personal experience. Others reading these posts, (there are many BTW. Members, and non members read these post worldwide.) learn from your experience.:highfive:

Is he drinking water on his own,, with no problems/hesitation?????
Make sure the dish is deep enough for him to stick, and submerge complete beak. Pigeons drink differently from chickens... They drink like using a straw to slurp up the water.
You may already know this,,, :old:frow... I'm writing it so that other readers not aware of it will know, and be better informed.
Yes I did know that but thanks for adding it to the thread!

Taco does ok both with seeds and water but you can very much tell he’s still learning. Some seeds he picks up he will eat and others get tossed around. Sometimes I catch him almost playing in his water, but I have also seen him drink. Maybe not enough to sustain him, but he is getting the idea.

He’s like having a toddler around! When he’s out and about anything that he can touch his beak to, he’s touching! My rings, bracelets, freckles, tattoos, hair, earrings, EVERYTHINGS game! If he’s on the floor he’s touching the different patterns in the hardwood floors. He’s so funny! 😂😂

The biggest thing I have learned from this is that you are exactly right it’s not at all like raising chickens and it is not for the faint of heart. That little pigeon fully depends on you for everything and you have to commit to taking care of it.

I thank you again for all your help I don’t think I would have made it as far as I have without it!

He looks great, really amazing job you’ve done raising him :)

He looks about the age where they begin showing interest in eating seeds. You could start by offering them free choice and see if he picks up on what to do on his own accord. Otherwise, maybe during one of your feedings when he’s hungry and attentive towards you, you could imitate picking up the seeds with your fingers. Hope this helps!
Thank you!

He does have free choice seeds with him at all times. I’ve tried to imitate picking seeds up like you’ve suggested, but he has learned that when he sees my hand he gets formula so he shows no interest in the seeds! I’m hoping now that he’s wanting to “peck” at everything he’ll have a better idea that seeds are food. He’s definitely trying, just not quite there yet.

I honestly thought he would be closer to being independent at this age. Since I’ve never hand raised one and the parents have always done it, it seems like they’re in the nest, then they’re moving around the loft, then they’re flying around a little then they’re on their own! I never realized exactly how long it took for them to be totally independent. Definitely a learning experience!

Thanks again for the advice!

Back
Top Bottom