How much should a baby pigeon eat?

Poultrylady2022

Chirping
Mar 13, 2022
Hi everyone!
First a little back story. I have common pigeons. They are “pets” per se, not tame but I brought them here, they know who l am, etc. I have two sets of parents that are hatching out babies. The set that has been laying the longest had a pair hatch several days ago (maybe close to a week? I’m not really sure). Anyway when one of them hatched, he barely had any of the yellow fuzz on him that’s not normal from what I’ve seen. Anyway I went up there 2 days ago and they had kicked this little guy out of the nest, he had a few bloody spots on his back and his sibling was twice his size.

I brought him inside and started hand feeding him. We are still struggling with a good way to feed, right now I’m opening his mouth and using a syringe. He eats good but I know that’s not comfortable for him. Does anyone have a better suggestion of how to get him to open his mouth? Also, how much should he be eating? I’ve read 10% of their body weight but he eats more than that and still acts hungry. I make him stop because I don’t want to over feed him but I don’t want to underfed him either.

Any advice would be appreciated. Thank you!!

I nature, it is SURVIVAL OF THE FITTEST.. That is most likely why he was abandoned, and other squab fed extra. The parents must have known that this one was weaker.
But I totally understand your kindness with keeping any pigeon alive. Therefore,, keep feeding him, and see if he grows to adult.
Feed him as much as lil guy will take in. You will see a large inflated crop. That crop will shrink in few hours as food is converted into pigeon growth. Baby pigeons do not walk around like day old chicks. They lay, and grow.
Just curious,, what are you feeding ??
Post some pictures if you can.

WISHING YOU BEST,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, :highfive:

I nature, it is SURVIVAL OF THE FITTEST.. That is most likely why he was abandoned, and other squab fed extra. The parents must have known that this one was weaker.
But I totally understand your kindness with keeping any pigeon alive. Therefore,, keep feeding him, and see if he grows to adult.
Feed him as much as lil guy will take in. You will see a large inflated crop. That crop will shrink in few hours as food is converted into pigeon growth. Baby pigeons do not walk around like day old chicks. They lay, and grow.
Just curious,, what are you feeding ??
Post some pictures if you can.

WISHING YOU BEST,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, :highfive:
Im feeding him kaytee exact and like I said he eats very well, I just have to use my fingers to open his mouth and I don’t like having to do that. But he is getting used to it, whenever I put my fingers next to his beak he starts to open his mouth just not enough to get the syringe in without me holding it open.

He will stop eating when he’s full? I thought they would just keep eating and eating if you continued to offer food.

What age should I start offering seeds? I think he’s still too young for that. He has pin feathers and he does walk around enough to chase my hand and flap his wings but I was just curious when the next stage of feeding should begin.

Thanks so much!

Just keep doing what you are doing :hugs .. I never hand fed pigeons , always were fed by parent. My guess,, is about 2 weeks old, you can start to give some soaked seed with the Kaytee.
I know that in regular pigeon feeding, by parent,,, the first week is the GOLDEN CROP MILK. That stuff is SUPER SUPER SUPER nutritious. After that,, the mom and dad offer regurgitated food to junior that has less of the crop milk in it. Your baby will not grow as fast as a pigeon fed by mom and dad. Therefore just use your best judgement when to offer dry seeds. Maybe at 4 weeks or somewhere thereabout. You will know,,,, when Junior decides to pick the seeds from the surface he is standing on.

Just keep doing what you are doing :hugs .. I never hand fed pigeons , always were fed by parent. My guess,, is about 2 weeks old, you can start to give some soaked seed with the Kaytee.
I know that in regular pigeon feeding, by parent,,, the first week is the GOLDEN CROP MILK. That stuff is SUPER SUPER SUPER nutritious. After that,, the mom and dad offer regurgitated food to junior that has less of the crop milk in it. Your baby will not grow as fast as a pigeon fed by mom and dad. Therefore just use your best judgement when to offer dry seeds. Maybe at 4 weeks or somewhere thereabout. You will know,,,, when Junior decides to pick the seeds from the surface he is standing on.
Just an update he’s a little piggy! He is learning more each day how to eat the way I’ve been feeding him. This evening when I would put my thumb and index fingers next to his beak he would open his mouth by himself. I’ve noticed that he’s picking at his towel some when I’m feeding him so I was thinking about spreading a few seeds on it tomorrow and just see what he does. Tomorrow will make his 5th day inside so he has got to be getting close to two weeks old. I want to make sure I teach him right but it’s all a guessing game because I’ve never done it!! Lol we’ll get there it may just take him a little longer. Here’s a picture of him.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    979 KB · Views: 32
Hi I have a question about starting seeds. What kind of seeds should I be feeding him? My other pigeons eat a fruit and nut mix and it has a lot of sunflowers seeds in it would that be ok? Or does he need something smaller? Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom