Found injured pigeon today

Vetericyn will be just fine!

Giving a bit of heat is a good idea. I'd follow the suggestions from @CloneFly

The one I found, I kept her in my shed in a box (all I had for a few days!). Lined it with a puppy pad and a few shavings. I wrapped a spare heating pad in an old towel and placed it under the box to let a bit of warmth come up from underneath. Cold nights in the teens/twenties, so I think she appreciated that.

You're doing good! I hope this fella recovers. I'm still getting used to mine. Today is the first day I actually heard her Coo, so I think she's finally settling in to her new home.
Okay thank you very much! This is the first time I’ve had to deal with an injured bird, i’m taking it as a valuable lesson though since I want to become a veterinarian someday, but I’ll really try to help him, I’m am very grateful for all your insight and I hope he recovers too! This Valentines I was not expecting to get a pigeon but here I am, I’m thinking of calling him Valentino, hopefully someday I can release him back into the wild, I can’t fully tell the extent of his injuries but as long as the wing break isn’t so bad I don’t believe I will have much problems releasing him! Thank you once again.

Okay thank you very much! This is the first time I’ve had to deal with an injured bird, i’m taking it as a valuable lesson though since I want to become a veterinarian someday, but I’ll really try to help him, I’m am very grateful for all your insight and I hope he recovers too! This Valentines I was not expecting to get a pigeon but here I am, I’m thinking of calling him Valentino, hopefully someday I can release him back into the wild, I can’t fully tell the extent of his injuries but as long as the wing break isn’t so bad I don’t believe I will have much problems releasing him! Thank you once again.
Valentino is a wonderful name ❤️

You're doing good, keep us posted on how he gets along.

Okay my folks just got home and helped me dress Valentinos wounds, we gave him the Vetericyn and the triple antibiotic ointment, I also put some more towels with him and will turn the heater off and on throughout the night, our house is usually in the 60-70 range though so I don’t think he will need too much heat, he seems to still be doing good though! He’s even calm enough to start sleeping a bit and still pooping well, I’ll update again in the morning.

Throughout the night I made sure to check on Valentino multiple times to adjust the heat or just see how he’s doing and he lived through the night which I’ll take as a win!
He seems to be a bit more observant today, he's moving his head a bit more but mostly just watching me.
Overall though he seems like he’s doing pretty well So far!
making it past the first night is always the hardest with injured birds so I am very happy he has done so!

Thank you for the response!
since posting I have figured out that he is not in fact banded so I searched up the species in my general area and found out that he is most likely a band tailed pigeon which is a wild type of pigeon.

I’m not really sure if we have any rescues in my area and I don’t know if they would do much considering he is not a protected species.

After reading your comment I gently picked him up and looked for other injuries, I did in fact find one more, it doesn’t seem to be super serious but it is a chest puncture, it doesn’t seem to be too deep since he isn’t mouth breathing / gasping for air and isn’t bleeding out of his mouth or vomits, although the area has lost the majority of its feathers likely from a predator attack and the area is slightly bloody but overall seem not too bad, the only spray I have on hand for injury’s is vetericyn plus anti microbial poultry care, would that be enough? Everything in my area is closed so if it isn’t he’s going to have to wait until tomorrow..

I‘ll also my sure to give him some electrolytes for his water, haven’t seen him drink yet but he’s moved towards the water source, he has also pooped twice and his poop looked overall normal!

As for mites or other bugs while checking him I didn’t see any but I could always do a more thorough search later.

I also put him in a bigger container since the first update and he has moved around a bit since then!
Are you sure he’s not a protected species? Banded pigeons aren’t known for being invasive, I believe they’re mostly found in their native range. I would definitely look for local wildlife rehabs, as they’re best equipped to care for a wild animal.

Are you sure he’s not a protected species? Banded pigeons aren’t known for being invasive, I believe they’re mostly found in their native range. I would definitely look for local wildlife rehabs, as they’re best equipped to care for a wild animal.
I did a bit of research on band tails for my area and it says that they are not protected here or at least from the few pages that I found, although I’ll try to see if o can find any wildlife rehabs near me.

Btw update on Valentino, I saw him eating and drinking which is a pretty good sign! He was also bobbing his head a lot and moving around a bit (only did this after I played some pigeon noises.) He also is still having normal poop, overall though he seems to be doing pretty good so far, I’ll dress his wounds again tonight.

Back
Top Bottom