How much should I be feeding to my chickens?

Thank you for all the advice! I'm going to look deeper into this and check the calcium levels in our layers crumbles it's supposed to be an all natural one, so is our neighbors, but I don't think that has anything to do with calcium levels. I don't feed them the highly modified stuff. Sometimes we mix grains and make our own chicken feed for a while, the girls like that. But, just a question because a couple more dollars a week on chicken food is a lot for our budget right now, buying the chick feed instead of the layers has been hard too because we have a lot of chickens, have you ever had a first hand experience where a rooster has died because of this? Ive had a cat die of confirmed liver failure by a vet who explained it me so, I know what the signs are and what to look for. I know that I hear a lot of things, like someone told me fhat feeding my chickens protein food permanently would make them quickly gain weight. But maybe things like that aren't true.
Some protein levels in feeds are up to 28 or 30%. Those are required for ducks and game birds. The flock raiser is at 20%. The really high protein feeds could also cause gout and kidney problems. But like I stated before 16% in layer is the minimum to keep a layer thriving. And I totally understand a couple of $ a week being a lot for a budget! For me the layer feed is the exact same price per pound as the raiser. If you wanna know which gives you more bang for your buck, you can look at the caloric content. Chickens eat to meet their nutritional needs so higher calorie feeds require less feed to meet that need. Incidentally, chickens are meat eaters... so they do get some meat scraps as well as eggs and they love milk. Mine haven't gotten milk so I can't speak to it, but many farmers do. I do not feed fat scraps ever.

Yes, I can't believe some of the things people say they know about chickens and dogs. I have gotten wrong information many times, at the feed store especially. So it's ALWAYS important to do your own research to confirm or refute what's been said!

EggSighted4Life, Thanks. That's very helpful. We do raise mealworms, we been for about 6 months.

EggSighted4Life, Thanks. That's very helpful. We do raise mealworms, we been for about 6 months.
highfive.gif

Back
Top Bottom