How much should I charge for processed Muscovy ducks?

N.Ill/Wis border is where our organic poultry farm is located. We grind and mix our own feed. .
Our Muscivies are $6.25 lb.
Pekin $5.25 lb.

Pekins have a better feed conversion so they are at market in 6-8 weeks.
Price increases are expected in first quarter 2012.

Hope this helps.

Alot!!!!

Id hate to be the one to have to clean such a nasty creature (no offence intended to those who like Muscovies), I don't. I don't even care for any duck really.

[[[.....make a profit by underselling the commercially produced birds by $5, why not....]]]]]

Home raised duck should sell for slightly more than commercially raised duck. It is a different product.

Quote:
I agree... Mostly the processor, caretaker and seller are all one and the same. I would charge market rate PLUS a few bucks. (to make it more personal include a recipe guide, and maybe a seasoning pack). Tell them to save the fat... THey won't be sorry!
smile.png

Good luck Muscovy's rock!

With a plucker you can do what, 3 ducks per hour?
I imagine a butcher has a decent salary and he doesn't cull the bird.. And you need to pay off the plucker, so maybe what, 50$ an hour? so 16$ per duck I'd say. Or anyway, that's how I'd calculate it.

Oh, I see people say about 5$ a pound. My ducks were 4-5 pounds when I processed I think, so my price would be too low then!
But how does the weight change anything in regards to processing the duck? It won't have THAT much feathers more to pluck and I find that removing the inside of the bird is easier when they are bigger (more space for the hand haha). That's why I'd never thought of a price per pound :)

Last edited:
I posted this in the FR question on processing amount but I did not get a response.

Looking for some suggestions on this.

I have 3 people who want some ducks processed and the retail store price per bird is $35.
ep.gif

I wasn't going to charge near that but I don't want to short change myself either.
We raise Muscovy and charge $7/lb for vacuum sealed birds. How much do your processed birds weigh? Do you raise them organic/Non-GMO? All that goes into your decision. How much did it cost you to raise them? How much work was it to process them? Go to your local market and see how much a large duck would cost. Frys sells 5 Lb ducks for $25. How much does that $35 bird weigh? Do you want to make extra money selling Muscovy or is this just a hobby? It seems like a lot because it is your bird but calculate all your expenses and know how much that bird cost you. Then figure your time and then you will know how much to charge.

With a plucker you can do what, 3 ducks per hour?
I imagine a butcher has a decent salary and he doesn't cull the bird.. And you need to pay off the plucker, so maybe what, 50$ an hour? so 16$ per duck I'd say. Or anyway, that's how I'd calculate it.

Oh, I see people say about 5$ a pound. My ducks were 4-5 pounds when I processed I think, so my price would be too low then!
But how does the weight change anything in regards to processing the duck? It won't have THAT many feathers more to pluck and I find that removing the inside of the bird is easier when they are bigger (more space for the hand haha). That's why I'd never thought of a price per pound :)
Are you selling the processed bird or are you processing someone else's bird? The man who processes our birds charges us $10/bird but we do the vacuum packing.

Back
Top Bottom