How much should I feed my pullets?

I would definitely just fill a feeder and let them eat when they want. Birds have very fast metabolisms, which require them to eat often. But unless they're meat birds, they're not going to eat so much that they become overweight.
Agreed. I switched to free feeding a while ago and never looked back. Its better than everything else I have tried. I do want to add that I do check my bird's crops every morning. Its not always everyone, but I always check those who are deep in molt or that are old. Its really extra though. I free feed, but do not put the feeder in the coop. That way, I can check their crops in the morning when I let them out.

Isn't a quarter of a pound usually about three quarters of a cup of most chicken feeds? I don't measure but my scoop has to be closer to three cups. Five pullets eat that sometimes once a day and sometimes twice a day usually. I refill when it gets empty or I need to go somewhere.

Thanks for the answers :)
I'll try free feeding, I've heard it attracts mice but I'll try it for a bit to see if it works :)

The chickens will take care of any mice during the day. Clearing out their shelter (like double walls or stacks of things they can hide under or behind is a good idea anyway.

Back
Top Bottom