How much should i sell for?

Discussion in 'Buy Sell Auction - Archives' started by BantyHugger, Apr 29, 2009.

1. BantyHugger

BantyHugger Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2008
    Ponder
    Some one asked to buy a dozen of my D'uccle eggs. Does anyone know how much they should go for? Is $20 too much?

2. kelliepulido

kelliepulido Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2008
    st.john's mi
    DO you know if they are fertile?If so I think 20 is good.You blog says 1 roo for 30hens I think you could use a few more roos 1 roo for 10hens is a good ratio or seperate into breeding trios for better fertility.If you have not sold before maybe start abit lower and see how the hatch rate turns out,post a couple pix etc.Are you shipping them?

3. EricShane

EricShane Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2009
    SouthWestern Ohio
    i honestly/personally think that is a little high.. but, pricing might depend on location also..

4. kbbeale

kbbeale Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 26, 2007
    Adkins, Tx
    Im in Tx and I'd pay $20 for some quality (non hatchery) d'Uccles. Also, I agree that 1 roo for 30 hens is not enough. Add at least 2 more roos and you'll be good.

Kristen

5. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    Most bantam breeds should have 1 roo per 5 hens, so I would think you would need at least 5 more if you only have one with 30 girls. I wouldn't pay that much for eggs unless shipping was included, but I'm cheap [​IMG]

6. Teresaann24

Teresaann24 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2008
    Eastern, Kentucky
    If they are quality and you know that eggs are fertile they are worth every bit of $20 or more.

Maybe do a few tests runs first?

7. AK_Button_Mama

AK_Button_Mama Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 30, 2008
    Wasilla, Alaska
    I'd pay 20 for those eggs if there were a higher roo to hen ratio (1/30 not to good) shesh I would pay 75 dollars a dozen if the eggs were from a breed I REALLY wanted like the black copper maran eggs I bought a month or so ago! Heck, I didnt even keep those eggs I sent them to by homie Tori in soldotna!!! (right Mrs_AK_bird Brain!!!)!!! I am not all that nice thought I want to have some of the birds from the second generation so it was a gift with strings![​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 30, 2009
  8. BantyHugger

BantyHugger Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2008
    Ponder
    28 of my hens are standards which are too big for my roo to breed with. He always gets my banty girls. I have never cracked a banty egg and had it not be fertile.

9. Davaroo

Davaroo Poultry Crank

Feb 4, 2007
    Leesville, SC
    Quote:I'm reading a common concern here: It's not the price, it's the quality.

Im a little confused, so lemme see if I get this. You have 30 hens, 28 are standard and 2 are banties. Your cock is not big enough to mate the standards, making him non-standard against them?

If he's too small to properly mate the standards, that cannot be viewed as a quality pairing. Quality would be like for like, at the very least. If there is a low cock to hen ratio, it only exacerbates the problem.

In fact, at least by the sound of it, you are breeding a bantam cock in a mixed flock, with improper cock:hen ratio.
    If I've gotten it right, I would recommend you offer only the bantam Mille Fluer D'Uccle eggs, those being eggs only from the cock and bantam hens. Those would likely be worth $20, if you could trace some sort of lineage.

For all other cases, if your buyers want to purchase mixed eggs and the sex ratio is clear to them, then that is a different matter altogether.

Last edited: May 2, 2009
  10. JewellFarm

JewellFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2009
    Lebanon, Virginia
    Sounds like it is probably 1 banty roo and 2 banty hens to me. Or I could be reading wrong. If so that sounds like a ratio for some highly fertilized eggs to me. If that is right and you are offering the banties only, then by all means ask your $20 dollars.

Last edited by a moderator: May 3, 2009

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by