How much should I sell my eggs for?

melodyrg

Songster
9 Years
Oct 31, 2012
When I start getting eggs this summer, I plan on selling them. I think that $3 dollars a dozen is a fair price considering they'll be white, brown and blue eggs and that they're organic. My grandmother disagrees with me and says that I should sell them for $1 a dozen. Any suggestions?

Where are you located? The cheapest I see fresh, farm raised, pastured, eggs go for around here is $4. Your eggs are better quality than what is in the store, and cost more to produce...and those are more than $1 a dozen.

If you look at the craigslist postings in your area, most are selling for $3/doz. There is no way I would sell for less than that.

When I start getting eggs this summer, I plan on selling them. I think that $3 dollars a dozen is a fair price considering they'll be white, brown and blue eggs and that they're organic. My grandmother disagrees with me and says that I should sell them for $1 a dozen. Any suggestions?

Grandma hasn't bought any feed lately has she? You'll be lucky to break even at $3 a dozen.

Grandma hasn't bought any feed lately has she? You'll be lucky to break even at $3 a dozen.

lau.gif
I was thinking the same thing! Feed is $12-$20/50lb bag. That lasts me about 2 weeks with 20 birds. I'm lucky to get 24 eggs in those two weeks. Soooooo yeah. Not really worth time or money to sell them for $1/doz. I sell mine personally for $4 if they have a carton or $5 if they bring back one. When my ducks start laying, I will be selling those for more. I also have quail who are going to be laying soon and I haven't decided what i will charge for those eggs yet. I might just eat them all myself.

Well, there you go. Feed is (say $16) every two weeks. That's $8 a week. You get 12 eggs a week. That means, if you don't eat any of them, you need to charge $8 a dozen to break even!
wink.png
Of course, that is not counting water, power, grit, oyster shell, supplements, meds, wormers, or housing (original cost and upkeep) or even your time in feeding, care, cleaning, etc. $8 would be a bargan!

But seriously, some areas of the country will pay $5 or $6 a dozen, an around here, people sell theirs for $1.50 a dozen. They are worth whatever anyone will pay you for them. Just remember, if you sell the first ones for $1 a dozen, people will never want to pay you more than that. I'd ask $4 to start, if you don't get any takers, drop it to $3. Offer .50 off if they bring you two egg cartons. They'll likely want to bring you more than that, trade them! You will always need egg cartons.

Good Luck!

Back
Top Bottom