How much should keets eat?

homesteader824

Chirping
Jun 1, 2015
Missouri Ozarks
I have seven keets that are now three weeks old. Their feed consumption has increased, but a lot more than what I expected. They are wasting some food, as expected, but for the last few days they've been going through a feeder that's supposed to hold three pounds in less than a day. This evening their feeder is almost empty, after I filled it this morning. Will they really eat that much or are mice getting in unseen, do you think? It would be hard for mice to get in, but I guess they could climb in the brooder area.

I'm feeding chick starter crumbles.

I have seven keets that are now three weeks old. Their feed consumption has increased, but a lot more than what I expected. They are wasting some food, as expected, but for the last few days they've been going through a feeder that's supposed to hold three pounds in less than a day. This evening their feeder is almost empty, after I filled it this morning. Will they really eat that much or are mice getting in unseen, do you think? It would be hard for mice to get in, but I guess they could climb in the brooder area.

I'm feeding chick starter crumbles.
Keets eat a lot.

Chick starter crumbles are not an appropriate feed for guinea keets. They have a high metabolism, grow fast and have fragile legs. Keets should be fed a high protein turkey or gamebird starter that has the higher levels of lysine, methionine and niacin that the keets need.

I would say that most of your feed is on the floor in the bedding. I've been raising keets for a lot of years and they love to empty the feeder. You can try to raise the feeder where they can reach the feed but not play in it. ;)

I've got them switched over to a turkey-type starter, and raised the feeder a little higher. They are still knocking some feed out, but getting it a little higher helped a lot.

I would say that most of your feed is on the floor in the bedding. I've been raising keets for a lot of years and they love to empty the feeder. You can try to raise the feeder where they can reach the feed but not play in it. ;)

So I've got 5 keets and they are doing the same.....pretty much emptying the feeder. Will they eat the feed that is on the floor in the bedding?

My keets pretty much clean out my feeder in less than 8 hours. I'm going through a ton of food trying to keep it full. Should I not keep refilling and let them eat the stuff they've thrown out in the bedding.

They aren't likely to eat the food on the floor. I never fill the feeders, just put in enough to give them a feeding. It means I'm adding feed twice a day but I don't find as much on the floor. ;)

Back
Top Bottom