How much smaller is bantam eggs?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by akahn01, Mar 26, 2007.

1. akahn01

akahn01 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 18, 2007
    Virginia
    How much smaller is bantam eggs then regular eggs?

2. SpottedCrow

SpottedCrow Flock Goddess

This is a bantam Silkie/Cochin mix egg.
    [​IMG] Those are C sized batteries for a comparison.

3. Picco

Picco Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2007
    NY
    It depends on the bantam, some are a lot smaller and some are a bit bigger. The genral rule for cooking is 3 bantam eggs = 2 standard eggs. Here's a picture.

[​IMG]

The light brown eggs are from standard SL wyandottes, the green egg is from and americauna and the small white egg is from my bantam japanese hen.

4. TheBigWRanch

TheBigWRanch Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2007
    Wenatchee, Washington
    A standard egg will weigh around 55 to 60 grams, while a bantam egg weighs 25 to 30 grams. Each breed is a little different.

5. nativeplanter

nativeplanter New Egg

Feb 19, 2007
    I have a couple of what I think are OEGBs, given to me by my mechanic last year when they blew into his yard during a storm. I think they are hens, as they still haven't developed any rooster-y traits and aren't crowing. But they haven't started laying yet either. I do wonder how tiny their eggs will be. They are such small birdies! Like large pigions!

6. Hotwings

Hotwings Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2007
    southwestern Michigan
    Sounds like bantams to me.

7. dutchbunny83

dutchbunny83 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 11, 2012
    Fayetteville, NC
    [​IMG]I don't know if anyone still checks this thread, but I found it in searching for info on the size of bantam eggs. I have a silkie bantam chicken that we thought was a rooster based on behavior. Then I find this smaller egg today with blood on it, that I'm assuming is someones first egg? (The middle egg is a standard store bought egg for comparison). Besides my silkie I have Americaunas, Barred Rocks, and Wyandottes. Is this a bantam egg or did someone just lay a smaller egg?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by