How much space between roost and ceiling ventilation?

When I cleaned the shavings out of my little coop (as opposed to the run), I was always able to simply dump them in a pile, watering down the layers to start the process, and ignore them for a couple months. Result: Compost.

I generally do cold compost rather than hot compost because I have many other things to do with my time other than turning compost piles every couple days. Now and then I'd dig into it a little to add some kind of kitchen waste that was inappropriate to feed to the chickens so it would get stirred up a bit that way.

Maybe in a cooler climate it would take longer.

I'd aim for deep bedding instead of deep litter, as others have noted you're not likely to get any composting going without dirt floor contact as well as moisture, which you generally want to avoid. I'd scrap the poop boards too as practically speaking you don't have room in there to maneuver around to get in and clean them out.

I'd do the roosts straight too, but maybe it's just me, because it's hard to gauge how much usable roost space you have when the end sections don't really contribute to usable space.

If you really want the nests bumped out I don't see why it can't be changed at this time, since it's still in the framing stage. Especially if you're hoping to end up with 8 chickens, you could use the extra floor space that's being eaten up by the nests.
Yes, thank you! My chicken newbie-ness is shining through 😊 Deep bedding was what I was looking for, still removing less often and just adding more shavings as needed, but doesn't get broken down as much, like it would with deep litter, right? I knew there was a different name for it, but it wasn't coming to me, still basing it around the deep litter method but removing everything a couple times per year instead of every few years like is mentioned in the link... But it won't really break down at all with deep bedding? Or is it just that things have aged, so once you add it to your compost pile, it doesn't take as long before you can use it? Either way, we'd add it to a compost pile that will be a mix of scraps, leaves, etc anyway. We wouldn't be trying to use it right away.
My thought with the "V" was that they'd have a bit more room to get themselves up and down while still not having to have anybody directly in front of a window or on top of the nest boxes. My first thought was to have a roost on each of the long sides, stopping before they went above the nest boxes, but, it's only 4 ft wide. If I kept the roosts far enough away from the walls (12 or 18" is that right?) They'd be pretty close to each other in the middle without a lot of space to get themselves up and down. I suppose I could do one on a long side and one on the short side running above the nest boxes and put a poop board on top of the nest boxes...
This is getting really long. Sorry for the rambling!

But it won't really break down at all with deep bedding? Or is it just that things have aged, so once you add it to your compost pile, it doesn't take as long before you can use it? Either way, we'd add it to a compost pile that will be a mix of scraps, leaves, etc anyway. We wouldn't be trying to use it right away.
My thought with the "V" was that they'd have a bit more room to get themselves up and down while still not having to have anybody directly in front of a window or on top of the nest boxes. My first thought was to have a roost on each of the long sides, stopping before they went above the nest boxes, but, it's only 4 ft wide. If I kept the roosts far enough away from the walls (12 or 18" is that right?) They'd be pretty close to each other in the middle without a lot of space to get themselves up and down.

I use deep bedding in coop but I also surface clean daily for the sake of extending out the litter, so there is nothing to break down. I do cleanouts twice a year. The poop that's removed daily goes into my compost bin (or someone else's).

Hmm, with the roosts, you probably could try it the way you have it now (assuming you can get the ends at least 12" out from a wall, to try and maximize usable space) and if it works, great. If not you can always switch to an L shape or parallel bars later on, as roosts are probably one of the easiest things to change.

Back
Top Bottom