How much space between roost and ceiling ventilation?

Currently 6, potentially could go up to 8 next spring, but that would be the absolute max, as 8 is the most we're allowed where we live. I was avoiding the poop board but might have to rethink that since the nest boxes have been moved inside and no matter how I set up roosts, they are probably going to have at least some roosting space above those. And will probably poop up there even if I didn't 😊

What do we think about a "V" pattern for the roosts? Just a bit higher than the nest boxes. That gives us about 8 feet of roost space (probably 7, since I doubt anybody's going to shove themselves into the corners)View attachment 2173257
That will work as well... With that configuration, poop boards would be somewhat impractical, but not impossible. Remember, that you can always remodel interior to your desires later time.
I am in process of making a new henhouse and retire my existing one. I definitely want poop trays in new one.

That will work as well... With that configuration, poop boards would be somewhat impractical, but not impossible. Remember, that you can always remodel interior to your desires later time.
I am in process of making a new henhouse and retire my existing one. I definitely want poop trays in new one.
We were going to try to do a deep litter type method, so I'd been avoiding the poop tray to keep as much poop for compost usage as possible 😊 Definitely all a learning process and 6 months or a year from now I may have very different ideas about it lol

If you are going to the DLM,, and having a wood floor, I suggest placing a good barrier on floor, like linoleum. Otherwise, you will be replacing floor sooner than expected. My suggestion for DLM is only on ground/earth floors in a walkin coop.
That is just a personal preference.

If you are going to the DLM,, and having a wood floor, I suggest placing a good barrier on floor, like linoleum. Otherwise, you will be replacing floor sooner than expected. My suggestion for DLM is only on ground/earth floors in a walkin coop.
That is just a personal preference.
On it! Hubby put down a sheet of food grade polyethylene (I believe that's what it's called). I don't think we're going hard core. I believe what we're doing is actually called something else. Not letting it decompose for years, just a few months at a time (maybe spring and fall? We'll see how it goes), and letting it start breaking down in the coop, finish in the compost pile.

I'd been avoiding the poop tray to keep as much poop for compost usage as possible
All the poop I sift out daily goes into buckets then to a friends compost pile.

and letting it start breaking down in the coop, finish in the compost pile.
Don't think it will 'break down' without moisture, which you don't really want in the coop. Even with poop boards I change out shavings twice a year.

RamblingBrainPondering...
Wonders about the 'dust' in my shavings, I assume most is pulverized poop, some feed, and smaller particles of the shavings........wonders if it is still 'hot' and how to find out if it is?

All the poop I sift out daily goes into buckets then to a friends compost pile.

Don't think it will 'break down' without moisture, which you don't really want in the coop. Even with poop boards I change out shavings twice a year.

RamblingBrainPondering...
Wonders about the 'dust' in my shavings, I assume most is pulverized poop, some feed, and smaller particles of the shavings........wonders if it is still 'hot' and how to find out if it is?
I think it is still considered hot but may not have to compost as long as fresh poop would? Not positive on all the rules as ours will still sit in the compost bin for quite a while, garden beds aren't going in until next year. We've been basing most of our plans off the Carolina Coop guy (https://carolinacoops.com/chicken-coops/standard-features/deep-litter-beds/#.XtauW7dOlaw ) he has a few YouTube videos on it also. We'll see how it goes, if it doesn't seem like we're able to keep the humidity down then we'll have to switch it up 😊

We've been basing most of our plans off the Carolina Coop guy
Ehhhh......not good info, IMO.
If it's nothing but dry shavings, it's not really going to 'compost'.

I think it is still considered hot but may not have to compost as long as fresh poop would?
I took my bi annual coop bedding and tried to compost them once.
Didn't heat up until I added 10 gallons of water to 13cuft of shavings, next day it was 160°F.
I turned and rewatered once, then neglected it and it cooled and never really broke down.
If you want good garden soil, best not to use shavings at all....or very few unless you really work the pile and keep it hot.

Ehhhh......not good info, IMO.
If it's nothing but dry shavings, it's not really going to 'compost'.

I took my bi annual coop bedding and tried to compost them once.
Didn't heat up until I added 10 gallons of water to 13cuft of shavings, next day it was 160°F.
I turned and rewatered once, then neglected it and it cooled and never really broke down.
If you want good garden soil, best not to use shavings at all....or very few unless you really work the pile and keep it hot.
We'll experiment with it and see 😊 Our last place had so much clay in the soil I was desperate for anything to lighten it up, but I haven't gotten to play in the dirt much at this new place yet!

I'd aim for deep bedding instead of deep litter, as others have noted you're not likely to get any composting going without dirt floor contact as well as moisture, which you generally want to avoid. I'd scrap the poop boards too as practically speaking you don't have room in there to maneuver around to get in and clean them out.

I'd do the roosts straight too, but maybe it's just me, because it's hard to gauge how much usable roost space you have when the end sections don't really contribute to usable space.

If you really want the nests bumped out I don't see why it can't be changed at this time, since it's still in the framing stage. Especially if you're hoping to end up with 8 chickens, you could use the extra floor space that's being eaten up by the nests.

Back
Top Bottom