How much space between roost and ceiling ventilation?

April0617

Songster
Feb 28, 2020
SE Wisconsin
For standard sized birds? We have a couple windows installed that will also open, but there will be a gap (covered with hardware cloth) between the walls and the roof to ensure adequate ventilation. The roof will extend out to protect from rain. How much headroom should I allow to make sure the girls aren't affected by drafts while roosting?

I would aim for hen's heads to be 12 inches below roof vents during winter. During warm weather keep those windows open. (provided they are secured with HC, or welded wire.)
Many peeps think roosts need to be high up. That is not the case, at all. What does show up, is chickens pick the highest position available. A low altitude roost also prevents leg injuries during jumping off. Everything is relevant to the floor plan size also.
Post a pix of your coop interior, so we can give a better assessment, of roost placement. If you have a short, raised coop, then allowing 12 inches above heads may be quite difficult.
WISHING YOU BEST,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,:highfive:

Sorry!! I'm normally very vigilant about watching for responses to posts, today was another story 😵 I will post some pics tomorrow as I'd love any input I can get on this, but we can easily accommodate at least 12" of headspace between the roost and the vents. The coop is raised, but not terribly short, and hardware cloth is going over every opening but the doors 😊 We have a slanted roof, so hearing lower roosts is fine made me very happy, I really didn't want different roost heights as I don't want the bickering 😊. And that thread with spacing was awesome, thank you!!!

Ok, sorry if I'm not giving a very good explanation, I am not the designer or builder, I am just the instigator and chicken momma 😁 Coop is 4x6. Low end is about 4', floor to roof line, high end is about 5.5'. There will be a gap of about an inch under the eaves on the long sides. High end will have a gap from wall to roof that's about 2-3" (all covered with hardware cloth). The nest boxes are framed out on the tall side but not completed yet. He threw me for a loop with the nest boxes, I thought they were going to be external 😒 We'd have a max of 8 standard sized hens. Currently we have 6. I'm open to any and all suggestions. More ventilation for winter? Roost placement advice? This is our first rodeo and I want to do what is best for our girls.

Attachments

• IMG_20200602_072545.jpg
    IMG_20200602_072545.jpg
    552.1 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_20200602_072623.jpg
    IMG_20200602_072623.jpg
    779.6 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_20200602_072559.jpg
    IMG_20200602_072559.jpg
    754.9 KB · Views: 30
The designer and builder knows what he/she is doing :thumbsup
The ventilation as you describe is good. You did not state, but it looks like low side will have same ventilation gap as high side. That is where the air movement does the great venting job. The continuous flow of upwards, and out the high side eve.
My suggestion, for roost placement is above the nest boxes. I would also suggest making a poop tray/shelf under roost, and on top of nest box. I would fill that with about 1, inch layer of Sweet PDZ. PDZ works 2 ways. It neutralizes ammonia, and makes gumdrops easy to sift out with a kitty litter scoop. You can also use sand, or just paper liners, (recycle feed bags) or pine shavings. There is where most of the chicken droppings will end up. Chickens poo all night long, as they are digesting their evening meal. Chickens aim to go to sleep with a full crop.
Nice coop, cant wait until it is finished. make sure to update us with those pix. :old

The designer and builder knows what he/she is doing :thumbsup
The ventilation as you describe is good. You did not state, but it looks like low side will have same ventilation gap as high side. That is where the air movement does the great venting job. The continuous flow of upwards, and out the high side eve.
My suggestion, for roost placement is above the nest boxes. I would also suggest making a poop tray/shelf under roost, and on top of nest box. I would fill that with about 1, inch layer of Sweet PDZ. PDZ works 2 ways. It neutralizes ammonia, and makes gumdrops easy to sift out with a kitty litter scoop. You can also use sand, or just paper liners, (recycle feed bags) or pine shavings. There is where most of the chicken droppings will end up. Chickens poo all night long, as they are digesting their evening meal. Chickens aim to go to sleep with a full crop.
Nice coop, cant wait until it is finished. make sure to update us with those pix. :old
Thanks! He'll appreciate the compliment (as he slaves away in the 90 degree heat today, trying to finish 😓)

What do we think about a "V" pattern for the roosts? Just a bit higher than the nest boxes. That gives us about 8 feet of roost space (probably 7, since I doubt anybody's going to shove themselves into the corners)
IMG_20200602_072559~2.jpg

What do we think about a "V" pattern for the roosts? Just a bit higher than the nest boxes. That gives us about 8 feet of roost space (probably 7, since I doubt anybody's going to shove themselves into the corners)
Good you know that. :highfive: Many do not.
Might work, depends on if you wan to use poop boards.
How many birds?(sorry if I missed that).

full

Back
Top Bottom