How much space for meaties?

sepaditty1

Songster
11 Years
Mar 29, 2008
South Carolina
I have 27 chicks from McMurray. The heavy breed assortment. First time trying meaties.

The pen they're in now is about 5 X 8. I know they'll be fine there for a while, but will I need a bigger one?

Of course I don't want the birds crammed in like sardines or treated badly like in a commercial plant. But what are the space requirements for temporary birds?

I have 27 chicks from McMurray. The heavy breed assortment. First time trying meaties.

The pen they're in now is about 5 X 8. I know they'll be fine there for a while, but will I need a bigger one?

Of course I don't want the birds crammed in like sardines or treated badly like in a commercial plant. But what are the space requirements for temporary birds?

Are these the males only? Do you plan to process? They will be ok for a few weeks but later at least 4 sq ft per bird. If it's mixed they need to be separated later. If they are not CX or fast growing broilers they will need at least 12-16 weeks grow out time. Good luck.

Yes. I believe they are supposed to be all males. Not Cornish cross. I'm hoping that when the weather gets better I can make a larger pen outside. Right now they're in a fenced off corner of my shed.

Oh, and I plan on processing them at 10-12 weeks.

That sounds good. How are you feeding them? 12 hrs on 12 hrs off? If you keep food all the time they will have massive health problems. What are you doing for bedding. I'm going to do deep litter. Start with 4to 5 inches and everyday stir with a fork and add a little more. I use fermented feed with my grain and it definitely keeps the smell down. Let me know if you need anything.
big_smile.png

Edited for content: Wait a minute. I just reread you post. Not CX? They will be ok for a while. Yes, get a little run if you can. ANY bird that is not CX is not going to be ready at 10 weeks. Maybe 16 weeks. Right before they start crowing and a lot of fighting. If you don't have females they might not do a lot of fighting anyways.

Last edited:
I have them on feed all day sonce they're not CX. Is this ok? The guy at TSC told me regular chick starter was the way to go. I've since heard that I need something else. What would you suggest?

Their floor of the pen is covered with wood chips. I'm hoping to move them outside before it gets too nasty in there.

I have them on feed all day sonce they're not CX. Is this ok? The guy at TSC told me regular chick starter was the way to go. I've since heard that I need something else. What would you suggest?

Their floor of the pen is covered with wood chips. I'm hoping to move them outside before it gets too nasty in there.

Yes, that's fine. What I do is a deep litter for my brooder. Start with about 2 inches deep. Keep adding a layer every couple of days. Before adding stir it a bit. My babies are on about 4-5 inches at 2 wks. I use fermented feed and there is no smell. I have a 2 gallon bucket. I started with 1/2 full of starter and added water to cover. Waited a few min and added more water until covered again. I usually start with a glug of Mothered apple cider vinegar (optional) It just speeds it up a day or two. Wait 4 days or so the first time. Stir daily. Then start feeding. When it get to about 3" from the bottom I add a lot more water and stir and then add grain. No more acv is needed ever. When they get bigger and you need more. In a 5 gallon bucket add 12# feed and 2 1/2 gallon water plus backslop from previous bucket. This will last at least 2 weeks or more. One lady uses a 33 gallon plastic trash barrel and stirs with a shovel. Has kept the same batch going over 2 years. You do need to cover lightly (towel or lid partially shut) I know that you are thinking that this is a lot of work but I assure you that you will need to fill the waterers a LOT less. So the time is about the same. I put out the feed (consistancy of cement or thick oatmeal) in a dish 2x daily. Beekissed feeds hers one x day . A 2 ft trough with poultry wire over so they don't get stuck. Enough to last morning to night. What else? Are you going to get a few to keep for eggs?
big_smile.png

I don't raise birds for meat, mine are my sweeties :) but I know that for any reason to keep a chicken, they need room to do those basic, natural things.

Back
Top Bottom