How much sq ft does the coop need

Sounds pretty good, though if you have the room and budget for it, I'd go bigger on the run if possible. The more space you can give them, the more problems you can avoid and the easier it will be to integrate new birds later on to replace spent layers or just to grow the flock.

Of course you can always add on later, but it's easier and more cost efficient to just go larger right from the start.
Thank you for recommending that I go larger, but I will have to add on later, I am building this by myself and need to have it done before my girls start laying the oldest is 19 weeks old.

... but I will have to add on later, I am building this by myself and need to have it done before my girls start laying the oldest is 19 weeks old.

I built my own coop and it was a lot more work than I had originally planned. If you design your coop with the thought of adding on later, you can probably save effort later on. One of my girls started laying at 18 1/2 weeks. Best of luck on your build.

Thank you Mrs K, I was thinking of an 8' x 16' coop raised with run under it as well as an 12' x 24' run that would 416 sq ft, so this should work, again thank you for your help.

One of the problems with a raised 8x16 with that part of the run is how do you get under there to retrieve eggs if they start a nest under there. How do you retrieve an injured chicken that doesn't want to be retrieved. How do you manage poop buildup under there? In Florida they would probably hang under there a lot in the shade and pooping a lot so you'd be crawling in poop unless it is really raised. For a building that size I'd recommend that you not give them access underneath, make your run bigger, unless that coop is way up there on stilts.

I'm not a believer in magic numbers for chickens, how much space they need or much of anything else. If you wish you can follow the link in my signature to see why. We keep them in so many different conditions for so many different reasons in different climates and so many different flock make-ups that no one number is magic for all of us. That's why you see so many different recommendations. There are differences in a small backyard flock versus a commercial operation where there may be thousands of chickens that never go outside. If you integrate new chickens or allow a broody hen to raise chicks with the flock you need more room.

Your proposed coop is a nice size. Building materials often come in 4' and 8' dimensions so you can get by with less cutting and waste. In Florida your chickens should be able to get outside all day every day which reduces pressure on the coop itself, just provide shade in the run. For behavioral reasons the more chickens you have the less square feet per bird you need, I explained that in my article. But the more chickens you have in a certain space the more you have to manage the poop as it builds up. There are trade-offs.

I would increase the size of the run and keep it tall enough that you can walk in there comfortably if you cover it. Not being able to walk in there is really frustrating and your comfort and convenience is just as important as anything you do for the chickens. You'll take better care of the chickens and enjoy it more. One reason I like providing more space than the absolute minimum is that it gives you more flexibility in managing issues as they come up. That flexibility can make your life a lot less stressful when something happens.

Back
Top Bottom