1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

How much sugar in water for a boost?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by erijn5, May 9, 2011.

1. erijn5

erijn5 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2008
    South Central IL
    I am wondering how much sugar per how much water do you put for a boost..My 3 chicks are very sluggish! I don't want to loose any...! They hatched Sat. and they have food and water already down. I know they should not be very hungry yet, but they are chirping like the are starving or something... Can someone please help

Thanks

2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    A small amount, maybe a tablespoon in a quart, and not for more than a day or two. Be sure they are not too hot and have plenty of fresh air. Good luck.

3. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

I've never added sugar to the water.....and I've hatched and raised a bunch of chicks. I agree, check to make sure they're not too hot. That can make them sluggish.

4. erijn5

erijn5 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2008
    South Central IL
    Well I finally found a post on here earlier and the lady said 3TBS per 1 qt. Now I over dosed them. GREAT! [​IMG] These chicks are KILLING ME!! [​IMG] this yr. Never have I had this much trouble..i think I will hide until they are pullets.. [​IMG] Just kidding now I will go out and dump the water and redo... OH MY!

Thanks for the info!! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by