How much time should my hens be in their roost?

Ashlea

Chirping
5 Years
Oct 3, 2014
Thomasburg Ontario
My three hens spend a lot of time in their roost. The will come down into the run to eat in the morning and then go right back to roost. I usually bring them a snack mid morning and they will poke their heads down to see if I have anything good. If I do they will cone out for a while. But they spend a lot if time up there. Is this something I should be worried about?

Chickens can roost for hours.If your wanting to seem some more coming out,put outside roosts.How young or old are they?If new to a roost their likely instincts to sit there,and they may find it interesting.

My hens were born in May and our family has had them for a week. They don't seem scared to come down. They come into the run when I call them and are usually out first thing in the morning. I've been letting them out of the coop to wander our property. They look like they are having a fun time as far as I can tell. They have their little dust baths and poke around in the garden and when they're done the head back to the coop and usually into the roost for a nap. Is it possible they just like it up there? It's getting cold and it is very cozy up there.

They are fine, probably just feel safest on the roost in their new home.
A week is not very long for chickens to be in a new place, give them a few more weeks and I'll bet you'll see them spend less time on the roost and more time out exploring.

I'd say that having them roost in the coop is good. They know that there safe and it's home in there. As said above a week is not a long time for a new home. You will probably see as each week goes by they will become more inquisitive in their surroundings and explore more. This is from my own experience this year with mine, they acted just like yours did. I let mine free range and they are all over the place now.

I'm happy to report that my chickens are barley in their coop at all now! They are usually waiting for me at the door of the coop first thing and can't wait to wander our property. We have stand of sumac trees that my hens just love and they spend most if not all of the day there. I sometimes have to go out at night and herd them back home!

Back
Top Bottom