How much time

How much time do you spend taking care of your flock a day , week ?
Depends...if everything's going hunky dory and no poop sifting...maybe 10-15 minutes a day to top off water and feed, gather eggs, close up coop.
Poop sifting every other day...add 10-15 minutes.
Freezing temps...add 5 minutes every few hours.
Annual clean out can take several hours.

Generally I walk down and feed and water - I do this every morning. Gets me some exercise, some fresh air before I go to work, and it does not leave food for rodents, or at least not a lot of feed out during the night. So max 7 minutes, then I walk down before dark, gather eggs.

On a week-end, I go through the bedding taking it to my garden, and adding fresh to the coop-run. However, I don't do this every weekend. In fact, I will do it tomorrow, but don't think I have done it since November. We are having a warm spell, so it will feel good to be out, and about and get things freshened up.

I might be guilty of sitting on a stump and watching my girls too sometimes!

Mrs K

It depends on the weather and what day it is.

If it's raining, I'm out about 20 minutes, door to door. That's feeding the horses, topping off feeders/waterers on 5 coops and doing a quick visual check, and collecting eggs. I hate being out in the rain.

My feeders and waterers are all designed to hold enough for several days, so in theory I could skip days if I need to.

Nice days, on weekends when the boys are home, maybe an hour or so to keep bedding in shape, clean out/bleach waterers, things like that. Most of my bedding is simply adding more shavings or hay this time of year, I'm not cleaning much out until later in spring. I hose out nest boxes and replace with clean hay as needed. My feeders are covered with baffles and hung, so they never really need cleaning, just dumped out and refilled. I have a hose with a sprayer end at the coops, and most of my waterers are open containers that just get topped off, or dumped out and sprayed clean as needed. I do have one large 7 gallon waterer for the large coop that gets bleached every so often as it grows algae. I do go through every couple of weeks and scrape poop off the shelves where birds roost.

Normally about 10-15 minutes a day to feed and water 3 coops and my brooder. Now, if its a day for coop clean outs, it can take me a few hours. I do deep litter, so I usually clean out the coops once or twice a year.

Back
Top Bottom