How much to charge for fresh eggs?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by dg14, Feb 10, 2016.

1. dg14

dg14 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 1, 2014
    I live in a pretty rural area, a residential neighborhood and we get newsletters every month, i was just wondering how much would you charge for a dozen eggs, or even for 2 dozen? I have no job right now so money is getting tight. and chicken feed isnt the most expensive. currently im cleaning stalls for 20 dollars a week. yes i did say a week. so i have just enough to feed myself and the chickens honestly,

On another note, is it normal for chickens to change pecking order after their molt? i kid you, so i have 5 chickens
    Dusty (always been thetop hen)
    Goldy (who i got at the same time
    there pretty much best friends.
    then after about 6 months i got 3 more
    teller blue and show.
    after the molt the pecking order the went
    Dusty,
    goldy,teller
    show
    blue
    Weird thing is blue was ALWAYS 2nd to last and shwo was almost the most vulerable and teller was the demon of them all shes still very bitter torwards everyone especially to dusty but goldy
    my buff orpington who is a bantam mind you, stands up to her its quite funny since teller is like 2x her size LOL

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Charge what the area will pay. Around here, W central NJ, I see eggs for sale from $2.50 to $4.50 per dozen.

The pecking order is a fluid thing - those at the bottom are always looking for an opportunity to improve their position. During the molt higher ranked birds may be more vulnerable to be knocked down a peg or two.

3. yochickiemomma

yochickiemomma Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2015
    Michigan
    I try to keep my price about the same as the going rate at the local grocery store. I charge .50 cents extra if the person doesn't have an egg carton to exchange. All I try to cover is the cost of food and bedding though. Mine are pets to me not a source of income. Although I wish they would support me lol

4. craychixlay

craychixlay Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 8, 2016
    I'm trying to figure out how much to sell them for too. I only feed my birds non-gmo Amish feed. That's got to count for something right? I'm also starting to get a pretty rainbow of colors. I know an egg is an egg but they are so pretty![​IMG]

5. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Figure out how much you're spending on feed and bedding and any other supplies....base your egg price to more than cover those.
    I sell for 3.50/dz and it covers all my feed and bedding.

I am also unemployed and the chicken goal was that they have to pay their way and all the eggs I can eat....after 2 years it's worked out just fine.

6. dg14

dg14 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 1, 2014
    Thank you so much for your advice!

7. laurianne

laurianne Out Of The Brooder

In my area, I see anywhere from $3-$5 and I sell might right in the middle at $4/doz. I don't discount them at all if someone wants 18 or 24. Just $4/doz. And I can't keep them in stock. Haha.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by