How much to dose? Wazine 17 for worms

LIAlleyCat

Chirping
7 Years
Apr 17, 2012
I'd recently noticed one of my ladies (plymouth barred rocks) acting very stand-off'ish from the group and and generally looking depressed. Didn't seem to be egg bound, so I thought maybe she hurt herself jumping around they way they do after a bug or something. She does seem to eat a bit, but doesn't have much enthusiasm for the process. Then her comb seemed to be more floppy than usual and duller. She also seems to weigh less than the other ladies. Doing a lot of research, it seems to me that she might have worms. I've had the ladies since April when they were 4 weeks old and not wormed them since I wasn't aware it needed to be done regularly being new to owning chickens and never having worm issues with my parrots.

I bought a bottle of Wasine 17 and know I'll have to forego eggs for a couple of weeks, but hoping this will get everyone 'clean' and then I'll switch to an natural product like WormGurad Plus (mostly DE) to prevent future infestations. However, I'm unsure of the dosage, being that is says to treat 100 birds with 4 oz in 2 gallons of water. I only have 5 birds. How would I dose that out?

Dosage is one ounce of wazine per gallon of water for 24 hours. Set it out before letting your birds out from their coop in the morning. They will be thirsty and drink the treated water. Dispose of the mixture 24 hours later.
Instead of dosing with Wormguardplus, I recommend that you dose your birds 10 days later with valbazen liquid cattle/sheep wormer or safeguard liquid goat wormer. Dosage for either product is 1/2cc given orally undiluted to each chicken.

Edited after reading dawg53's post and checking my Wazine bottle. I recommend you double check your bottle as MY bottle also says 1 oz per gallon, not 2 oz per gallon as your bottle says.

What size waterers do you have handy?

You put the same amount in the water as for 100 birds. They only drink what they want. So if you have a 2 gallon waterer you would put 4 oz according to your bottle as you say.

But that would waste a lot of it. I would just prepare a gallon of it (and 2 oz.) just to make sure they don't run out during the day.

Wazine only kills large roundworms and is not approved for egglayers, but is the only wormer approved for poultry. You are correct that you need to toss eggs.

Some vets will do a fecal test for worms/cocci for a small fee if this Wazine doesn't do the trick (false negatives are possible), or if you would like to be sure before treating for worms. If there is another type of worm infestation the Wazine won't kill them. Some use Valbazen and Safeguard off label (as using Wazine with egglayers is off label) and there are many threads on BYC on this. Asking a vet is also good.

If you have a bird that isn't drinking well you might need to take a syringe and gently dribble some of the diluted wazine water alongside her beak. As the drop forms there, she will drink it down. Never pour it in her mouth as she could aspirate. Sometimes hens won't drink enough to drink the medication.

To stop the roundworm life cycle, please note that the Wazine bottle recommends a retreatment. If you are going with another wormer for the retreatment, many on BYC do it at 10 days. For Wazine, the bottle says 30 days.

Last edited:
Thanks all. I'll downsize the dosage for my waterer, which I think is a 1.5 gallon, but I'll check it to be sure and do a 1 gallon mix.

I have mini chickens. one is very sick I check his *** and I saw worms coming in and out of it I just gave him wazine i really hope that does it cauze I dont want to loose him

Using Wazine 17: I think that I have asked this question before.....
Should we put out treatment in water in the morning for the first 12 hours, then repeat for the very next day for 12 hours to make it 24 hours in total? Or, just one day for 12 hours ?

Using Wazine 17: I think that I have asked this question before.....
Should we put out treatment in water in the morning for the first 12 hours, then repeat for the very next day for 12 hours to make it 24 hours in total? Or, just one day for 12 hours ?

If they're not sick and drinking normally from the time they are let out in the morning to the time they go to roost for the night, do not put it out the next day.

Back
Top Bottom