How much to dose? Wazine 17 for worms

Someone told me 1tsp per gallon. Is it 2oz or 1 tsp
It's 1 oz per gallon of water for 100 chickens 4-6 weeks of age and 2 oz per 2 gallons of water for 100 chickens over 6 weeks of age according to the bottle that I just bought today. Which it all works out to be 1 oz per gallon per 100 chickens. I guess they just recommend mixing a larger amount as older birds drink more per day. I think what I'm going to do is just mix a half oz in a half gallon of water since I only have 22 birds over 4 weeks old and they don't drink anywhere near 1 gallon of water per day.

Does anyone have any info on worming with paste wormer for horses? I've heard to use Zemecterin Gold as it'll take care of most worms that chickens can get. I'm just not sure of the dosage. I wouldn't think it would take more than a dab on the tip of your finger, I just don't want to over (or under) do it.

This is your 2 best wormer options:

Valbazen
With Valbazen (albendazole) I would use .2ml per 2.2 pounds once by mouth and repeat in ten days.
  • A Rhode Island Red hen would get .6ml
  • A Rhode Island Red rooster would get .8ml
You may or may not see worms excreted in feces after worming. Most of the time they are absorbed in the digestive tract and not excreted. Chicken worms cannot infect your dogs and visa versa.

the *most effective* dose according to the study that dawg often refers to is 20mg/kg, which is approximately .2ml per 2.2 pounds. For example, an average sized RIR hen would get .58ml and a Jersey Giant hen would get .9-1ml.

I don’t recommend putting it in water. Administer it orally to each bird. If you have a lot of birds, split them up into two groups and keep them separated. Dose one group one day, then the next group the following day.
If you put it in water you don’t know if the birds drank the mixture, or drank enough of it to be effective. If you have sick wormy birds, they won’t drink it at all. That's why it's best to dose them one by one yourself. Redose in 10 days to kill worm larva hatched from eggs missed since the first dosing. Use a syringe without a needle, 1/2cc for standard size, 1/4cc for smaller birds. Just pull the wattles down and the mouth will open. Squirt it in and let go of the wattles so the bird can swallow it on her own.

SafeGuard

The amount of paste or liquid Safeguard I use is .2-.5 ml per 2.2 pounds 3-5 days in a row.
Give straight from the syringe at 0.23ml per pound of body weight.

Half pound chicken 0.115ml
One pound chicken - 0.23ml
Two pound chicken - 0.46ml
Three pound chicken - 0.69ml
Four pound chicken - 0.92ml
Five pound chicken - 1.15ml
Six pound chicken - 1.38ml
Seven pound chicken - 1.61ml

Last edited:
Excellent info Wally, thank you very much. I went ahead and wormed them with wazine 17 today but now I wish I had waited til I read this. When I worm again in 10 days can I use the Valbazen or Safeguard since I used Wazine this time? I have to see which 1 of those 2 wormers my local TSC carries. I saw Safeguard paste wormer for horses when I was there yesterday but I didn't see any liquid Safeguard for goats, I think I'd prefer to try the liquid if I can. Thanks for the suggestions.

I know this is a longshot, but my Valbazen expired last February, or 9 months ago. It has been kept in the house, would it still be potent enough to work?

I'm guilty of being in this position myself ... some might not agree, but I would use this time and then discard. It hasn't been exposed to the outside element. I'm sure it would still do the job.
yippiechickie.gif

Does anyone have any info on worming with paste wormer for horses? I've heard to use Zemecterin Gold as it'll take care of most worms that chickens can get. I'm just not sure of the dosage. I wouldn't think it would take more than a dab on the tip of your finger, I just don't want to over (or under) do it.

Zimecterin Gold is ivermectin and praziquantel. Ivermectin is no longer an effective poultry wormer, but praziquantel will kill tapeworms. If you have tapes use it, i guess, but one is better off using Valbazen of Safeguard for large roundworms, cecal worms and capillary worms.

-Kathy

Back
Top Bottom