How much to feed a chick I am hand feeding?

mom28chicks

Chirping
7 Years
Jun 17, 2012
Pucon, Chile
This is the first chick that I have had that will not eat or drink. It was hatched with messed up legs which is another issue.... but I think because it can not walk or sit she can not make it to the food and water.... however when I put food or water in front of her she in not interested at all. So I made a liquid paste with the food and have forced it down her throat. My question is ... HOW MUCH should I feed her? How often should I feed her? It seems like I'm feeding her a lot more than the other chicks eat since they are just eating one tiny piece at a time.... but I really have no idea. She is about 3 days old so I'm starting to freak knowing her yolk stalk is gone. She seems alert and healthy (except for the legs) but I'm scared she will go down quick.

Thanks guys!!

I wouldn't have forced her before 3 days or been worried by a lack of interest. Some chicks just aren't hungry that soon, since like you said they are still getting the nutrition from the yolk they absorbed right before hatching. Have you worked on remedying the leg issue?

Good to know I may not need to worry about that. She does expend a lot of energy trying to get up though. Yes, I am working on the leg issue.

Back
Top Bottom