How much to feed a sick Light Sussex Bantam - using syringe and cooked porridge oats

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Kay Kew, Feb 19, 2017.

1. Kay Kew

Kay Kew Just Hatched

Sep 20, 2016
    Hello everyone
    I have a Light Sussex Bantam hen who has been looking under the weather for a couple of weeks, but was eating reasonably OK up to a few days ago. I noticed that at least some of her poop had become very runny also, but no sign of blood or anything like that. On Friday (2 days ago) I brought her to the vet in the evening. She couldn't find anything specific that was causing the problem. She suggested a possible Vitamin B deficiency but the other two hens I have are in the best of health and all have access to the same food so that didn't seem very likely to me. She gave me some Vitamin B in powder form to be added to food. She also gave her a shot of antibiotic and a supply of Tylan Soluble 5g in 20ml water and I am to give the hen 0.2ml of this once a day for 7 days starting this evening. My problems now are as follows: The hen isn't eating anything at all and the last 'voluntary intake' of anything was about 3 sips of water on Saturday morning. I phoned the vet shortly before they were due to close for the weekend and they said she needed to be crop fed and I should bring her in, but there was not sufficient time to get her there and in fact I am really not able to afford all the vet bills (which is why i am seriously looking at rehoming my hens). I will bring her in to the vet tomorrow if she is still in the land of the living - but in the meantime I have started using a 1ml syringe to feed her on cooked porridge which is made sufficiently liquid to be sucked up into the syringe. I administer it much as I did the Panacur which i had to use a few months ago. I am also just giving water from the syringe into the side of her unopened beak which she seems to be taking OK. Poop so far today is like a sort of viscous, fairly transparent albumen like substance with what is like a splash of creamy/yellowish paint in it. No sign of any worms or blood. The hen walked a few steps this morning but generally looks pretty stupified and lets me pick her up easily which she would not normally do.
    Question 1: How much porridge 'mush' should I try to get into her?
    Question 2: How much additional water should I give her?

I think the vet said she weighed around 750g or so

She is indoors in a cardboard box with woodshavings and straw.

Any advice at all would be much appreciated. Thank you!

2. Kay Kew

Kay Kew Just Hatched

Sep 20, 2016
    My poor hen died this evening. I was giving her the first 0.2ml of antibiotic and I think I may have inadvertently got some of it into her airway as her breathing immediately sounded slightly unclear. I didn't know what to do, so probably very stupidly tried to give her some water...then - probably worst thing I could have done - I thought that if I 'up-ended' her it might drain any liquid that had gone into her trachea out again. However the overall effect was to bring up food from her crop ( i presume) and I think I actually ended up suffocating the poor creature. I phone the emergency vet hospital as she was obviously in some distress, but before I had time to even start the car, she had died. I felt really dreadful as I had basically, through my own incompetence, killed the very hen I was trying to save. I can say I did my best - and that is true, but not much comfort really. I hope I can find a good home for my two remaining hens as I have come to the conclusion that I am not someone who is suited to caring for hens because ironically, I care too much about what happens to them. Anyway - she was a fine creature and her life is over. Tomorrow is another day.

3. PollitolovesPio

PollitolovesPio Out Of The Brooder

Nov 30, 2016
    I am so sorry your gen and my duck Pio are together now free of pain in heaven. I lost my duck Pio Thursday night 2/16/2017. She had liver failure. We try all we can but thats all we can do. Pls find peace in knowing you loved her and did your best.

4. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    @Kay Kew I'm so sorry to hear about your loss[​IMG]
    Please don't beat yourself up, it sounds like you did everything you could.

5. Kay Kew

Kay Kew Just Hatched

Sep 20, 2016
    Thank you Pollitolovespio and Wyorp Rock. I am now beginning to suspect that my hen may been made sick by eating bluebell leaves which from what I have now read, seem may be toxic to hens. I think I may ask if anyone else knows about this and what the symptoms are on another thread so that anyone else with a 'woodland' garden setup, can avoid the same problem and so that I will know how to recognise if my other two hens have been affected. Thanks again for your good wishes and sympathy.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by