how much to feed chicks

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by THV, Mar 4, 2009.

1. THV

THV Out Of The Brooder

Feb 23, 2009
    BERKELEY, CALIFORNIA
    I've got my first batch of chicks. They are between 2-5 weeks old. Should I just give them as much feed as they want all the time, or should I have feeding "time"? Right now I'm feeding them medicated chick mash, and planning to transition to medicated chick crumble soon. I guess I transition them to another type of food when they are getting fully feathered?
    thanks
    Tim

2. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    My 12 little ones are pigs! I feed them and they gobble down way too much I'm thinking.

They are little eating, drinking, pooping machines. I can't wait until they are a month old and I can put them in the coop.

3. cyrixlord

cyrixlord Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2008
    Monroe, wa
    I just make sure their feeder remains full. I dont restrict water or feed. they are the darndest little babies aren't they?

Last edited: Mar 4, 2009
  4. ibpboo

ibpboo Where Chickens Ride Horses

Jul 9, 2007
    always changing
    Keep their feeders full at all times. [​IMG]

congratulations on your first batch. You are going to have a lot of fun.

5. crazy huhn

crazy huhn Chillin' With My Peeps

May 24, 2008
    I always do the free feeding (as much as they want). They do not over-eat.
    You may want to raise the feeder a little bit, so they will waste less of their feed. I also prefer the crumbe over the mash, because I have noticed that they go for the bigger pieces in the mash while wasting the powdery mash.

6. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Quote:The feed available depends on where you live. If there is a seperate grower available, you can switch them to that around 8 weeks. If all that's available is chick starter/grower, you can leave them on that until 18 to 20 weeks or when you get your first egg. Then it's on to layer feed.
    I agree that they should have food and water available 24/7.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by