How much to feed chicks?

WhenInRhome

Chirping
May 6, 2015
Rhome Texas
I just got 9 five week old chicks and bought the chick starter. I am looking for organic but for now this is what I found locally. How much should they be eating? I feel them about 3 cups 3x a day and they act like they are starving. I threw in some lettuce this morning but they did not mess with it much. What other fruits/veggies would be good?

Don't worry about fruits and veg at this stage. Just make sure they have an UNLIMITED amount of chick starter (and it sounds to me like they're wasting a lot of that feed so you might want to look for a better feeder).

My chicks are 6weeks I have the round feeder with holes on the top I fill it twice a day but it only holds about a cup and I usually throw some out.

Last edited:
I just got 9 five week old chicks and bought the chick starter. I am looking for organic but for now this is what I found locally. How much should they be eating? I feel them about 3 cups 3x a day and they act like they are starving. I threw in some lettuce this morning but they did not mess with it much. What other fruits/veggies would be good?

I don't measure - I free feed, so much easier. The daily intake can vary from bird to bird, so I find free-feeding to be more accommodating to being sure everyone has what they want/need on a given day. That being said, 9 cups a day does sound like a bit much for 9 five week old birds - how are you feeding them? It may be a matter that you are having some feed waste going on.

ok thanks! I will get a feeder. I was just putting a large pan in. I have a big feeder for my hens. I thought I could get away with not buying a small one since they will all be together soon. I dont want them wasting food though!

Put a tray under it to see how much they are billing out. (I really should get a picture using the feeder rather then the waterer.) Chicks should have unlimited feed you really don't want to stunt them.

If they are Cornish X's...that would sound about right.. Eat like a hog and just lay down right at the feeder and eat till it's gone or they need water. I raised my feeders up to about shoulder height (on the shorter Barred Rocks) so even the Cornish X would have to at least stand up to eat.

Put a tray under it to see how much they are billing out. (I really should get a picture using the feeder rather then the waterer.) Chicks should have unlimited feed you really don't want to stunt them.

That is a great idea!!! Thanks so much! I cleaned out the coop yesterday and there was a ton of wasted feed. I have to hang their waterer too. Every single day it gets clogged with pine shavings. Chicks are so messy!!!!

If they are Cornish X's...that would sound about right.. Eat like a hog and just lay down right at the feeder and eat till it's gone or they need water. I raised my feeders up to about shoulder height (on the shorter Barred Rocks) so even the Cornish X would have to at least stand up to eat.

These are Easter Eggers.

My neighbor got some chicks from a feed store and two are white. They grew 4x faster than the other chicks. They are so big now they walk a few feet then plop down. I am guessing they are broilers. Their poor legs are so stalky and stiff they can barely walk.

Yup... big ones are still more then likely a Cornish X (cross). Definitely a mutant chicken. They eat like hogs and gain weight like crazy...butcher at 7-8 weeks old. They are bred for that. They are basically the same thing you buy in the chicken meat counter area at your store.. Probably were mixed in with the EE'ers..
My 6 Cornish X (TSC chicks) I bought as a after thought and 3 days younger then the Barred Rocks and Cinnamon Queens (bought at a local feed store) are 4-5 times bigger then the egg layers now at 5 1/2+ weeks.. The young feller at TSC couldn't tell me what the difference was between those in the tank marked "White Broilers" (Cornish X--definitely white/light yellow) and pullet Cinnamon Queens..definitely a sex-link chicken.. couldn't tell me which was which either. I assisted him in the ID efforts.. lol

Back
Top Bottom