How much to feed Pekins?

dpenning

Crowing
8 Years
Jul 20, 2013
Blue Ridge, TX
Ok, I just had a head slap moment. I have 8 Pekins that are 8-11 weeks old. They appear to be full grown. I've been leaving food out 24/7. I just realized these are meat birds and could potentially eat themselves to death like meat chickens. Dunno if they are as bad or not.

My question is.... if I want to feed them once or twice a day, how much should I feed for 8 birds. They have free range and access to a 5 acre pond that they have not ventured out on yet which is another thread. (making me a bit crazy). Anyway.... how much feed should I be giving them daily per bird?

Pekins can have food 24/7. There is no "meat bird" duck, well at least no duck that is comparable to a BB turkey or CX. All duck breeds around today will not overeat like a CX or BB. I have a 7 year old Pekin drake who has had food 24/7 for his whole like, once he reached his full size he stopped gaining weight. This is why ducks are force fed on factory farms, they do not overeat by themselves.

Pekins can have food 24/7. There is no "meat bird" duck, well at least no duck that is comparable to a BB turkey or CX. All duck breeds around today will not overeat like a CX or BB. I have a 7 year old Pekin drake who has had food 24/7 for his whole like, once he reached his full size he stopped gaining weight. This is why ducks are force fed on factory farms, they do not overeat by themselves.
Thanks, that is good to hear that they don't have the same issues as meat chickens!

I would rather feed them once or twice a day rather than leaving food out for any other critters, not to mention the waste.....

I don’t feed 24x7... between 4 ducks, they get 6 cups of actual feed per day. They also get treats of mealworms, peas, corn, dandelion, kale, tomatoes and rolled oats. I feed all of this throughout the day - adding more only once their feed dish is empty. So far I have no weight issues.

I am not sure but this page gives an amount for up to 8 weeks old.
I wonder if you could guesstimate off of it...:confused:
https://www.nap.edu/read/2114/chapter/7
Hmm, I'll have to go to the feed store and check the bag. Math is not my strong suit but based on what that said and converted to oz;lbs vs kg.... each duck would eat a half pound of food a day. That sounds like a lot but i'd have to weigh and measure to know. I'll get a fresh bag of duck kibble tomorrow and see what it says. Another headslap moment. :smack:smack

Hmm, I'll have to go to the feed store and check the bag. Math is not my strong suit but based on what that said and converted to oz;lbs vs kg.... each duck would eat a half pound of food a day. That sounds like a lot but i'd have to weigh and measure to know. I'll get a fresh bag of duck kibble tomorrow and see what it says. Another headslap moment. :smack:smack
I'd bet it is right around one measuring cup worth.

Back
Top Bottom