How Much to Feed

FlockHappy

In the Brooder
9 Years
Jan 5, 2011
North Carolina
I was wondering how much I should feed my chickens. In one pen I have 11 Australorps, 2 barred rocks, and 1 dominique. They never seem to get full. The australorps are still growing, are quite active, and very lean. I want to fatten them up but don't know how. They never seem full! Right now I'm feeding them laying crumbles, chicken scratch, and any leftovers I have. I want to fatten them up a bit because I plan to butcher half of them due to half of them being roosters! But they just won't get fat.
barnie.gif

I have four silkies in another pen and they are quite satisfied. They eat a descent amount and no more, and they are quite plump and healthy. Of course, they are not as active as the australorps.
I just don't know what to do.

All my chickens have food 24/7 they are never without it, I have 2 feeders that hold 25lbs each. The higher the protien the quicker they grow.

I suppose that's the way I should go. I don't actually have feeders, and so I just give them a portion every day. Obviously its not enough.

Chickens need feed in front of them all day long. They are real good about regulating there diet. They don't sit around and over eat them selves.
smile.png

Quote:
My preference is for having food available 24/7, or at least from dawn to dusk. IMHO, if they get a "portion" the mentality seems to be, "OMG - there's food, must eat NOW" - so it appears as if your birds are starving. If it's always available, it's not such a big deal. That said, if you prefer ration feeding, an accepted "average" is 4oz of pellets per chicken per day. This would mean a "portion" of 3 1/2 pounds per day for your 14. How does this compare to the "portion" you mention feeding? If you are feeding this much, and they are still lean (growing birds need more nutrition), then increase to 4lbs daily for a few weeks - and take it frtrom there. You mentioned feeding laying crumbles - if your birds are not yet laying, they should be being fed either grower food, or flock raiser. The calcium in laying pellets is not needed by non-laying birds, 9and may cause health issues later) and not by roosters at all. Scratch is not as "nutritious" as grower/flock raiser & other forms of pellets/crumbles. if scratch is a major part of what you are feeding, I'd try reducing that and increasing the other food.

Back
Top Bottom