How much to get rid of rats/mice?

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by H&CMom, Apr 12, 2011.

1. H&CMom

H&CMom Out Of The Brooder

May 5, 2010
    We found rats/mice in backyard because of the food we left overnight(how stupid I was). Today I got one estimate for a little over $2000. The estimate includes Mice/Rat treatment, Vapor Barrier Removal & replacement for the cross base, Insulation Removal, Decontamination of Crawl, Hazardous Waste disposal, Crack& Crevice Sealing, Air Duct Cleaning, and treat burrows. Is this estimate reasonable?
    I am trying to give away our two hens because we are going to move out the country without selling or renting our house. Should I wait till I give away our hens?

Many thanks for any input.

2. srsmith69

srsmith69 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 25, 2009
    Oklahoma
    Seems like an absurd amount to me.

3. H&CMom

May 5, 2010
    Quote:Will try to get another estimate but have no idea.

4. sfw2

sfw2 Global Menace

Do you actually have mice in the house, or just in the yard? Unless they are infesting the house, and you have somebody living there with severe allergy/pulmonary issues, I think you're throwing your money away.

5. H&CMom

May 5, 2010
    Quote:We don't have mice/rats in the house but I was told that there is an access to the cross base. They found some activities there. They told me if I don't do something the rats/mice will climb along the pipe and come into the house.

I am really confused.

6. Black Cochin Bantams

Black Cochin Bantams Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2010
    Iowa
    You can kill rats and mice effectively for under $20. I went to a poultry show years ago and was lamenting about the Rodent problems I had. One of the old timers told me how to get them and it worked. He told me to get a piece of 3or 4" diameter by at least 2 ft long PVC pipe. Buy rat bait bars (available at most Tractror Supply type stores). I drilled a hole halfway up the pipe to pass a Wire thru. The wire needs to be long enough to wrap around the bait bar and pass back thru the hole. Secure the wire so the bait is in the middle of the tube and can not be pulled out (wrap wire around a nail/stick on the outside of the tube) Place along where you think rodents might be running bait side down and they will investigate and nibble/eat enough to cause them to die. Secure all pet and poultry food so the rodents will be looking for another food source. Have used safely around our cats and chickens for years. I leave one out at all times so I do not get an infestation started again.

7. edgroger

edgroger Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 11, 2011
    Would it help to use those new rat repellent technology that uses sound to drive out rats? or would it also affect the chickens? [​IMG]

8. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Regular mouse and rat traps work great with just a piece of cheese on them. Set them out just after your chickens are cooped up for the night and retrieve them the next morning before you let your chickens out.

9. Micklemoose

Micklemoose Out Of The Brooder

Apr 6, 2011
    Stop feeding your cats, they will soon realize how tasty the rodents are.

Terriers are also very effective I have heard.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by