How much to sell baby chicks for and where could I sell them?

pvchicken1

Songster
Mar 18, 2021
I just bought 10 fertile hatching eggs from Meyer Hatchery. They should be arriving Next week. I paid $32 with shipping for these eggs. Assuming 5 hatch how much should I charge for these to be chicks? And where should I sell them? I will sell them as straight run chicks. Also I am looking for some profit. Thanks for your help in advance.

Depending on the breed, but to get any profit, it would have to be at least 7 per chick, more if you include electricity and potebtial feed. You're likely not going to be able to sell chicks for that, especially st run.
How are you able to sex baby chicks only at a few days old?

How are you able to sex baby chicks only at a few days old?
You have to get breeds or hybrids that have sexable chicks. Most breeds are not sexable at all as chicks, and frankly that is to your advantage. If you get sexable breeds (Cream Legbars, Welbars, Bielefelders, Rhodebars, etc) you can sell the female chicks for more money each, but then you are stuck with the male chicks, and what will you do with them?
Are you prepared to kill the extra male chicks? Most people starting out hatching chicks do better with unsexable breeds, selling them straight run for less money.
It is a tough market to break even in. I do this for fun and lost money one every hatching egg or chick that I produce, but I make a lot of friends . . .

I just sold 14 straight run barnyard mix chicks, 4 weeks old, for $100. Whatever you bought, you paid a premium for the eggs so set your price accordingly. Try to sell them all as a starter flock, straight run, for a set price.

Back
Top Bottom