How much to sell this bird for? What gender is this bird?

pvchicken1

Songster
Mar 18, 2021
What should I sell this barn yard mix chick for? I think it is partially a barred rock. He or she is about 9 weeks old. It makes weird noises when I pick it up (unlike the others), but then calms down. I live in the twin cities in Minnesota. if I knew what gender it is I would sell it for more. Does $15 seam resonable?
IMG_4395.jpg The bird on the right. IMG_4392.jpg IMG_4390.jpg

Idk I'm thinking cockerel. Which parent do you think was a barred rock?
Have no idea how the market is there but here you couldn't get more then $5 for it if it was a pullet.
For a mixed breed cockerel that young you wouldn't get anything but free to a good home.

You'll have to look at your local Craig's list and the for sale wall at the local farm stores, because prices differ, but in my area a POL pullet sells for $15 and a cockerel *might* go for $5 if you can sell it at all.

I personally wouldn't pay more than a couple dollars for a straight-run, barnyard mix chick.
Where I live, a POL pullet sells for about $25 and a cockerel of the same age $15.

Where I live, a POL pullet sells for about $25 and a cockerel of the same age $15.
Yes, it varies a great deal by locality.

This chick is 9 weeks old. How much would a 9 week old sell for?
POL prices isn't gonna help OP much.

As a general rule, started pullets sell for more than day-old chicks and POL pullets sell for more than started pullets.

Pullets of any age sell for more than straight run.

Giving the POL prices tells the OP what the maximum possible price is -- IF the POL prices are similar in the OP's area.

I think it's a pullet personally, but I know by me that cockerels basically go for free :/ I had a very nice 16 week old Black Brahma boy that I had to give away even though the variety is quite rare and most of my other Brahma cockerels sold for maybe $5-10 and all were 4-5 months old too. If it turns out to be a cockerel I think free may be the best bet since it's a mix. Can't say for a pullet but I think $15 is reasonable. Maybe in your area you'd have better luck, but where I'm at (outside of Nashville) I was struggling

You'll have to look at your local Craig's list and the for sale wall at the local farm stores, because prices differ, but in my area a POL pullet sells for $15 and a cockerel *might* go for $5 if you can sell it at all.

I personally wouldn't pay more than a couple dollars for a straight-run, barnyard mix chick.

Back
Top Bottom