Just found this guy?

Gotalotofpetstoo

Songster
Jan 11, 2023
Western NC
My husband just brought this guy home. Actually, Not sure if it's a hen or a rooster. We have passed this bird along with a few others on a road we travel occasionally. Never knew where they belonged but today when my husband drove by and this guy was just laying down and the other chickens were pecking at it. So my husband picked him up and brought him home thinking he is probably hurt. He can stand as you can see in one of the pictures but I'm just wondering what he is and if it looks like a rooster or a hen. He is very calm, let my husband walk right up to him and pick him up. I also attached some pictures of his very large comb which is got a lot of black specks on it that I assume are from the other birds picking on it and also attached pictures of his feet. I haven't washed them yet to see if that might just be mud and will wash off. Or could this be bumblefoot? I've never dealt with that before. He's very beautiful. He has what's left of a long tail. He is 16" tall. Your thoughts would be appreciated.
UPDATE
We just weighed him and he is 4 lb 9 oz. He looks very big but clearly the significantly underweight. What we have on hand right now is 16% layer crumble scratch grains, 18% starter crumble, Grub worms. I also have multiple different supplements that we used when we rescued Ethel, such as nutri drench and other vitamins. Him being a rooster, does he need a specific feed other than what the girls are getting. Also, is he a barred rock?

Attachments

• PXL_20231222_200304965.jpg
    PXL_20231222_200304965.jpg
    384.2 KB · Views: 146
  • PXL_20231222_200310081.jpg
    PXL_20231222_200310081.jpg
    398.4 KB · Views: 39
  • PXL_20231222_200317165.jpg
    PXL_20231222_200317165.jpg
    356.7 KB · Views: 37
  • PXL_20231222_200400492.jpg
    PXL_20231222_200400492.jpg
    249.2 KB · Views: 37
  • PXL_20231222_200410811.jpg
    PXL_20231222_200410811.jpg
    395.3 KB · Views: 36
  • PXL_20231222_200909839.jpg
    PXL_20231222_200909839.jpg
    514.2 KB · Views: 39
  • PXL_20231222_201540220.jpg
    PXL_20231222_201540220.jpg
    407.6 KB · Views: 42
  • PXL_20231222_201544056.jpg
    PXL_20231222_201544056.jpg
    371 KB · Views: 48
Last edited:
I believe that is a rooster. It's hard to tell if there is something wrong with his foot, with all the dirt. Clean that all off, and be sure to get out any small stones that might be lodged in the folds of his feet.

His poop looks like he hasn't been eating much. Do you have some chicken feed? Wet it with some plain yogurt to make it into a mash, and see if he'll eat that. If he doesn't, please post again.

Thank you for rescuing him. And thanks for all the pictures; they really help.

Thank you for rescuing this bird, he is certainly a Cockerel, not sure of the age to be Rooster at this point. I agree with cleaning his feet and get a better look, I don't see a bumblefoot yet but a clean pic would help.

He also looks underfed and malnourished,I would try egg yolks, yogurt, chicken feed or tuna, whatever he will eat along with Nutri-drench or rooster booster to get some vitamins and minerals in him. Poor guy, he looks a little rough, hope he can recover.
Does he feel lite in weight?

Barred rock rooster, and yes, he is malnourished. I would keep him away from the rest of your flock, if possible, to prevent the possible spread of disease. Layer feed is fine for a while, but it has too much calcium for roosters for long term, so an all flock feed or even the starter feed will be better. If you want to keep him, I would first send in a float sample of his stools to see if he has worms. Also, he will need to be checked for mites and lice. A month long quarantine would be best before introducing him to the rest of the flock. He has a touch of frost bite on his comb, but that should take care of itself in time. Best of luck!

Barred rock rooster, and yes, he is malnourished. I would keep him away from the rest of your flock, if possible, to prevent the possible spread of disease. Layer feed is fine for a while, but it has too much calcium for roosters for long term, so an all flock feed or even the starter feed will be better. If you want to keep him, I would first send in a float sample of his stools to see if he has worms. Also, he will need to be checked for mites and lice. A month long quarantine would be best before introducing him to the rest of the flock. He has a touch of frost bite on his comb, but that should take care of itself in time. Best of luck!
I'm going to get him a bag 9f all flock, and I have a pumpkin we are going to cut open to give him and the others. He has a smorgasbord of food which is bird seed, grub worms, layer feed and scratch grains, and the only one he is wanting to eat is the bird seed. Going to give him some nutridrech tomorrow. He is now and will likely stay at my house away from the rest of the flock. Thanks for the info.

Seems to me like he's an abandoned rooster, he looks like a Plymouth rock, Amrock or a Barred rock with some frost bite on his comb. As for his foot, I wouldn't be surprised if he has bumble foot. I'd suggest cleaning him off in lukewarm water and getting him nice and clean. I will tag some people who might be able to help and I will write out something real quick to help his comb. Poor dude was most likely abandoned as that tends to be the case with most unwanted roosters.

I'm not sure if he is half barred rock (maybe Black Sex Link) or just not a crisp barred rock. To the best of my knowledge it's best just to let his comb heal on its own. Was he in a situation where his feet would have gotten very cold?
There are about 5 of them where we found him. The others were pecking him and he was just lying there taking it. They are all either abandoned or belong to someone who doesn't tend to them. They definitely live outside (not in a coop) and we have already had several nights that got below freezing, but he'll be warm tonight. My husband put him in some warm water in the tub and washed his feet. They look much better now. He doesn't want to perch, just wants to sit, but we'll see how he does over the next few days with some personal care.
1 other thing I noticed is that he doesn't really have a "spur". Is it common for people to cut them off like they do a puppies dew claws?

Attachments

• PXL_20231223_000624760.jpg
    PXL_20231223_000624760.jpg
    263.9 KB · Views: 35
Thank you for rescuing this bird, he is certainly a Cockerel, not sure of the age to be Rooster at this point. I agree with cleaning his feet and get a better look, I don't see a bumblefoot yet but a clean pic would help.

He also looks underfed and malnourished,I would try egg yolks, yogurt, chicken feed or tuna, whatever he will eat along with Nutri-drench or rooster booster to get some vitamins and minerals in him. Poor guy, he looks a little rough, hope he can recover.
Does he feel lite in weight?
4# 9 oz, but he has a full crop now. I'll make sure it empties overnight and get him some All Flock tomorrow.

Back
Top Bottom