how much ventilation is enough?

garngang

In the Brooder
10 Years
Apr 12, 2009
North Central Arkansas
ok so i have a couple of windows and then ive got a few vents. but how do i know i have enough ventilation? what are some signs of poor ventilation?
thanks a ton!
smile.png

I think the biggest one would be smell.

If you stick your head in and say "hmm, I think animals live in here" then you're good.
If you stick your head in and the smell knocks your socks off then you've got problems.

I think humidity is another thing, but that can be a bit hard to judge in Arkansas
tongue.png

Maybe someone else can tell you better.

See my Ventilation page (link in .sig below) for a lot more info on the subject
wink.png
... but, as far as signs, I would say the big three (in no particular order b/c importance varies with the season) are

-- if coop smells "strong" when you go out there in the morning and open the door, you need more ventilation.

-- if there is condensate or frost forming on the windows etc overnight, you probably need more ventilation. I say "probably" because in extremely cold climates, frosted windows may be inevitable because of the huge temperature difference in vs out and may not reflect a real ventilation problem. But if you can walk out to the coop with bare flesh exposed for more than a minute or two, then if there is much condensate on your windows you need more ventilation. (Condensation/frost on coop ceiling or walls means a severe ventilation deficiency, EXCEPT that in a drippy ceiling may also require insulation in cold climates)

-- if the coop is still uncomfortably hot, like quite noticeably hotter than outdoors, an hour after the sun goes down in the summer, it needs a lot more ventilation.

GOod luck, have fun,

Pat

Back
Top Bottom