How much venting in cold climate passive solar coop

The thermal mass on the north wall will help. I doubt the concrete floor will help. This will be covered with sand or shavings. Without direct exposure to solar I doubt it will heat up much. As well, a fair bit of the solar heat will probably go to evaporating moisture in droppings etc.

I am considering a soda can heater to pump in heated air. http://www.treehugger.com/solar-technology/how-build-diy-solar-air-heater-old-soda-cans.html If the cans are filled with rocks or similar (but still allow some air flow) then perhaps they will provide some heat into the night.

I'm firmly sold on the deep litter...

If I was building a coop from scratch I would highly consider 2 foot tall concrete knee walls in the coop, over the 6" ones you have pictured... And would also move the doors up 1-2 feet above the inside floor and use a step in step out... My existing coop is sunken bellow grade and has 2 foot concrete knee walls and it works well to contain the litter and avoid wall rot,, I built a partition wall in the coop and the door is about 1 foot above the floor, it keeps all the litter inside and I don't find it much of a hassle to just step over...

Back
Top Bottom