How much wood do you use for a season?

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by happyheart, Nov 13, 2008.

1. happyheart

happyheart Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 25, 2008
    Thornville, Oh
    I was just wondering how much wood you generally use in a typical season? [​IMG] It seems as we have gone through a ton already and its only begun to get cold. My DH is wanting me calculate out how much we use at a time and do multiplication
    [​IMG] Yea Right!

2. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    We use 15 - 20 full truck loads. Several cords. We heat solely with wood. I have a wood burning stove and a wood burning stove fireplace insert.

My electric bills are under $100 in winter. We us no fuel oil in 2 yrs.

3. Birch Run Farm

Birch Run Farm Biddy up!

Sep 5, 2008
    VERMONT
    I try to bring in 6 cords a year. I log, cut and split my own. That means planning for the next year and cutting down plenty of trees. I live in a very harsh climate and the heating season is long.

4. spook

spook Chillin' With My Peeps

With the Kerr Wood Furnace we use about 4 cord a winter. We also have oil back up that is used at night up to 65 degrees.

5. happyheart

happyheart Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 25, 2008
    Thornville, Oh
    We also have propane but this year since we got our chimney fixed I wanted to rely more on it instead of the propane. Luckily my nephew is in the wood business and cuts us a deal since were family [​IMG] [​IMG] Which I am so thankful for.

6. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

We use almost two cords and heat only with wood. Our house is an open design and about 1100 sq ft, so it's easy to heat with our soapstone stove. That type is very efficient to use.

7. trulyviolet

trulyviolet Out Of The Brooder

Aug 5, 2008
    we heat with wood
    our house is pretty old 1886
    and the woodstove is in the later addition
    we have a new soapstone stove
    (thankfully.....if we had iron or steel we couldn't afford the wood)

we go through about 6-7 cords a winter
    with the most being burnt from mid january to mid/late febuary

the oldest part of the house is stone and stays pretty warm but the room we live in mainly is the newer addition which is about 50 years old and was converted from a sun porch

it's pretty 'airy' out here

the good news though is we are still on the SAME tank of oil from 2005 when we put the stove in, a 250 gallon tank, with about 125 gallons still in it
    i keep trying to burn it down but the woodstove keeps the house that warm

speckledhen, do you cook on yours?

vi

8. redoak

redoak Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2008
    Russia, NY
    We use about 12 face cord (4 cord) a year to heat our 11 year old small house. My mom uses about 15 face cord (5 cord) to heat her 55 year old small house. My in-laws use about 21 face cord (7 cord) to heat their 140 year old house, they also use an oil furnace alot at night and on the weekends. Additionally, we burn about 3 face cord (1 cord) to make maple syrup.

9. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    We never have enough and we only have a fire on weekends for a couple of months.

10. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

If we had a typical season I could tell you. Example: earlier this week it was in the low 50's when I got home and there was a fire. Today is was 72 when I got home. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by