How much wood do you use for a season?

happyheart

Songster
11 Years
Aug 25, 2008
Thornville, Oh
I was just wondering how much wood you generally use in a typical season?
idunno.gif
It seems as we have gone through a ton already and its only begun to get cold. My DH is wanting me calculate out how much we use at a time and do multiplication
ep.gif
Yea Right!

We use 15 - 20 full truck loads. Several cords. We heat solely with wood. I have a wood burning stove and a wood burning stove fireplace insert.

My electric bills are under $100 in winter. We us no fuel oil in 2 yrs.

I try to bring in 6 cords a year. I log, cut and split my own. That means planning for the next year and cutting down plenty of trees. I live in a very harsh climate and the heating season is long.

We also have propane but this year since we got our chimney fixed I wanted to rely more on it instead of the propane. Luckily my nephew is in the wood business and cuts us a deal since were family
wee.gif
wee.gif
Which I am so thankful for.

we heat with wood
our house is pretty old 1886
and the woodstove is in the later addition
we have a new soapstone stove
(thankfully.....if we had iron or steel we couldn't afford the wood)

we go through about 6-7 cords a winter
with the most being burnt from mid january to mid/late febuary

the oldest part of the house is stone and stays pretty warm but the room we live in mainly is the newer addition which is about 50 years old and was converted from a sun porch

it's pretty 'airy' out here

the good news though is we are still on the SAME tank of oil from 2005 when we put the stove in, a 250 gallon tank, with about 125 gallons still in it
i keep trying to burn it down but the woodstove keeps the house that warm

speckledhen, do you cook on yours?

vi

We use about 12 face cord (4 cord) a year to heat our 11 year old small house. My mom uses about 15 face cord (5 cord) to heat her 55 year old small house. My in-laws use about 21 face cord (7 cord) to heat their 140 year old house, they also use an oil furnace alot at night and on the weekends. Additionally, we burn about 3 face cord (1 cord) to make maple syrup.

Back
Top Bottom