Supportive therapy ideas for my chook with dry fowl pox!

gardengal22

Hatching
Mar 12, 2022
Howdy yall! So today I was feeding my girls when I noticed my sweet Rusty has some ugly spots on her face- I'm pretty sure its fowl pox although it seems an odd season for it (the skeeters are pretty much gone!) and no new chickens have ever been added to her flock. I know it is a virus and I cannot use antibiotics, but I was wondering if yall know of any supportive therapies I can give to help her through this? Our chickens have had fowl pox before so this isn't our first time, I will certainly be keeping a close eye out for signs of wet pox though! (Just wanted to mention, Rusty and the girls are pets, not production chickens, and culling is absolutely out of the question. Our flock has had it before, we are not adding any new birds for them to transmit it to, and I am just wondering how to better help them through it.) I am also a little curious as to what could have caused this sudden flare-up! Maybe the cold weather?
IMG_1881.jpeg
IMG_1888.jpeg

Welcome to BYC. How long ago did your flock have fowl pox in the past? I’m not seeing any scabs coming on the wattles or face as one might see with pox. Could this be an injury from chicken wire or pecking?

Back
Top Bottom