How much would two geese eat?!

Additional: train your geese to have good manners, and I suspect your mother will learn to like them. They are wonderful to be around as long as you do not allow them to learn they can be bullies.

Quote:
Thanks blues. And no worries, I plan on raiseing them like geese.... Not lap taking your advice on that
wink.png

I have 6 Gray Saddleback Pomeranian geese who free range in summer, and have a large enclosure in winter. They eat one to two flakes of hay, and almost a quart of Agway Game Pellets mixed with a handful of cracked corn per day in winter. I also offer them grain in summer. Geese over a year old don't really eat that much, but they require a lot of space or they will fight with each other and they will get mean with you - they can be territorial. Their nature is to run away from us, and to defend their food and space if they feel threatened. So, they will be sweet if they have space, but they will probably try avoiding you if they have total free range and are equipped with plenty of food, and have no penned in area to call home at night. When they have to stay in the pen, I spread around hay and cut up apples and corn to keep them entertained.

My geese are always coming to the gate to be let out to free range. I think that even though they have a nice big space, they get bored and want to goof off and check out the dogs and the chickens and the other animals around the property. They have the same agenda every day. First thing in the morning they watch my husband through the basement window working out, then they eat for awhile under the peach tree. Then they graze on the main lawn while the three dogs move them around the property, eventually to the water basin behind the barn. Then they visit the chickens and make a detour to peer into the three story rabbit hutch, I suppose to check in on the girls. Then they run back to the lawn in a frenzy, flapping away, and finally lay in the sun for an hour or so, and mozey back to the pen for their grain and water. EVERY DAY. SAME THING. So cute. So curious. And they're chatting the whole time like a bunch of old ladies shopping.

Just like with any animal or human, if you are consistant and kind, your geese will know that you respect them and will respect you back. We quietly sit with our geese - we read and they come to over to us - my daughter plays her oboe and they LOVE it, probably because its tone reminds them of THEM! They recognise us, and believe me, they know each and every member of the family! We can be at the gate, four family members, and one friend, and they will go up the the friend and look her over. They are always excited to see us, and they even talk to us when they hear us at the pool. They can be quite loud, so beware if you have lousy neighbors which breed you choose. Poms are noisy.

We have had ducks, and have chickens, and by far the geese are the most interesting. And dramatic! OMG!

Back
Top Bottom