How much would you pay for PET/CHICKEN SITTING ?

I was paid 30 dollars a day for five horses, two dogs, some fish, and a cat. Two trips each day. I thought that was fair enough. I would probably pay 25 to 30 dollars a day though if I could find someone I trusted. I live around elderly people and I have two very enthusiastic dogs and another two dogs. Then a cat and chickens, so I think up to 30 a day if fair.

We have 2 kids (young teens) who live in the house behind us come over just to feed our 10 chickens and change out water for them once a day a few times when we have been away. Paid them $5 per visit, 2 times a day = $10/day. It takes them all of 3 minutes -- in the morning before they leave for school and in the late afternoon when they are back at home. The brother said I didn't have to pay him anything because he just really likes the chickens. You should have seen the sister glare at him! He quickly added -- "or you could just give the money to my sister...." I'm more than happy to pay them, and I hope they'll be happy to cross over through the back gate to check the chickens when we need them!

Here in NJ I pay $35/day for someone to care for several dogs and 5 lofts of pigeons. She is bonded and insured and does a good dependable job. She generally comes once a day, but will make multiple trips during excessively hot weather. Without her we would never be able to go away.

Any ideas how to FIND a sitter? We live in a rural area and have no neighbors. DH's family live 2 towns over so one of them might be able to come out once a day but not twice (need someone to open in the morning and close at night). I have looked in the phone books and online and in the vet's at the bulletin board but can't find anyone who offers this service. I'm wondering if a teen (driving age) in 4H or FFA would be our best bet, but we live in such a rural area anyone would have to drive a minimum 20 minutes to get to our house.

You guys would seriously trust someone to watch your pets/livestock? Not me.
hmm.png

And honestly who would watch and properly care for 2 Pitbulls, 2 large African Mastiffs, 2 small Chihuhuas, an Akita, and a farm full of 60+ chickens of different ages, breeds, and housing in different sections of the yard? Some of my chickens would probably scare the average person! ( my shamos
lol.png
)

Not to mention the greenhouse that would need to be watered. We're talking 60' x 20' of plants to manually water, no irrigation.

lau.gif

Quote:
My parents live 2000 miles away (as do all of my sisters) and there's no way I'm going to tell them I can't come visit because of my chickens. We board our dog, cat and rabbits when we go on vacation (typically about 2.5 weeks long) but obviously that's not an option for the chickens. We have cattle and hogs as well and dh's brother comes out and takes care of them but it's only once a day. So he could feed/water but I don't trust him to remember to come out and open the door in the am and close it in the pm. I've thought about an auto door but we worry that if it failed, the chickens could be dead in the coop before someone noticed (not totally likely since it has a lot of windows/vents now that we've rebuilt).

I think some of us are just glued to our properties.
tongue.png
The price of living on a farm. and yes you can hire farmhands but honestly I'm a bit of a control freak - I can't stand thinking I'd pay someone else to do something I should be doing

Back
Top Bottom