How much would you pay for PET/CHICKEN SITTING ?

Quote:
My petsitter is wonderful...here is what she takes care of for me when I go away.....

2 Male akitas
1 Female akita
1 Female shiba inu....all dogs must be let out and kept separated into their own kennels.

10 chinchillas, 5 hamsters, 1 guinea pig, 1 american bobtail cat, 4 fishtanks, 40 chickens of various ages and sizes...3 sets still in separate brooders.

My guinea pig and hamsters receive salads every night...

She does a wonderful job and I pay her what she requests....if she ever quits doing this, I am up ***** creek.

One of my BFFs does this for a living, Dogs, cats, fish tanks, Llamas, horses, goats, donkeys, chickens. She prefers not to do reptiles. ("Did you know people have pet SNAKES????")
Her price varies as to how many critters and what you expect. She has been doing this for about 5 years, bonded and insured. My step-daughter does it part time, she is a vet tech, and many of her customers have pets with special needs. I would say there is a big need.

Quote:
In a heart beat.

Would you hire me? I was idly looking at a change of career and I don't need much money to survive...was wondering how I could make it just farm sittin' around the nation and possibly the world. I have a base to work from. It would be sort of like a working holiday...but I'd want the cost of transportation fronted. My services would be well worth it. How many people would clean your coops, barns, house, take care of the animals, tend your garden and keep things working and safe? Not many, I'd venture.

Quote:
In a heart beat.

Would you hire me? I was idly looking at a change of career and I don't need much money to survive...was wondering how I could make it just farm sittin' around the nation and possibly the world. I have a base to work from. It would be sort of like a working holiday...but I'd want the cost of transportation fronted. My services would be well worth it. How many people would clean your coops, barns, house, take care of the animals, tend your garden and keep things working and safe? Not many, I'd venture.

I'd hire you in a nano-second! I think it would be an excellent entrepreneural business. I know how you treat and care for your animals. You have MY endorsement and plenty of customers here in BYC!!!

We paid my very responsible college friend $300 for a week. This is price we would have paid to put the 2 dogs in a kennel. She stayed at our house and took care of the 2 dogs, 9 cats, 20 chickens, 2 ducks, and 3 goats. She also watered the veggie garden. She ended up having 2 chicks hatch under a broody, and the ducks ended up killing 2, 8 week old pullets. Plus the goats got out every day and she had to chase them back in.

She told us we were crazy and she did not know how we did this every day. At the end of the week, she had slept a total of about 12 hours. Our one dog is nuts and kept barking at every noise all night long. However, my friend still comes by to visit her.

Last edited:
Quote:
In a heart beat.

I'd hire you in a nano-second! I think it would be an excellent entrepreneural business. I know how you treat and care for your animals. You have MY endorsement and plenty of customers here in BYC!!!

lol.png
I doubt I'll be actually pursuing it but I quit my job yesterday and had idle time on my hands and was dreamin' about the possibilities.
big_smile.png
Wouldn't it be kinda cool to farm sit in Australia? Or New Zealand? Or Montana? How fun would that be???

Quote:

lol.png
I doubt I'll be actually pursuing it but I quit my job yesterday and had idle time on my hands and was dreamin' about the possibilities.
big_smile.png
Wouldn't it be kinda cool to farm sit in Australia? Or New Zealand? Or Montana? How fun would that be???

Yeah it would be fun. It's fun to dream too...gotta do what ya gotta do!

Wow. Your guys are making me feel cheap! The last time we went on vacation a friend I met at Church offered to chicken-sit for free. She has kids in that animal-love stage. I offered to pay but she said the eggs and educational experience for her kids were enough!

Edit to add: I should probably mention she's only three houses down from me so it literally took whoever from the household had the shift five minutes to walk over, tend the ladies and get home.

Last edited:
I've always kept my livestock feeding routines simple and easy. So simple that I could leave for 4-5 days at a time and nothing would change for the animals that needed human intervention. Self feeding stations, large feeders and waterers, safety features that hold with little or no interventions, good fencing and sheltering, etc.

I'm wondering how many people have~ or need to~ adapted their husbandry practices to make this possible. Why make something so easy so complicated and involved?

I guess that is one reason I free range all animals within a large perimeter boundary fence and they all lived symbiotically...it appealed to my need for simplicity, harmony and ease.

Anyone out there striving to make their animal's lives less of an encroachment on their own time and freedoms?

I do have large feeders and waterers that will last for at least 3 or 4 days as well as an automatic chicken door, but for my own peace of mind I'll gladly pay to have someone come when I'm away.

Back
Top Bottom